News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert: Why brands should offer video previews
People are watching - and stopping - online video streams in record numbers. According to comScore more than 10 billion video views were logged in May 2012 - a record number. But, many of these streams are started and stopped because viewers lose interest.
Either the content isn't what the viewer wanted or it is falling flat. In either case, one expert believes Premature Video Boredom (PVB) is a growing issue for brands using video to engage.
"With attention span decreasing and video length increasing, we are creating a giant divide that will make video less effective in the future. More importantly, many companies that use video as a primary online marketing tool are wrongly focused more on the quantity of content rather than the quality of the content - especially during the first 10 seconds of the video," said Graham McFarland, CEO of Cinegif.
McFarland's suggestions? Offer up a :10 clip previewing the content even before a potential viewer clicks into the video screen. He calls this a kind of billboarding effect - like retailers who advertise outside their storefront to engage consumers before they walk in the door.
"What if the first 10 seconds of your video were automatically shown even before the customer actively decides to click to watch? Rather than forcing a prospective customer to enter your store in order to see your 'signage', what if we place the 'billboard' where it belongs and is most effective - out front for all to see," said McFarland.
By offering a small section of content pre-click, McFarland believes brands will engage viewers, potentially at a deeper level, as well as give that viewer context for the remainder of the clip.
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...