News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android dominates smartphone sales in key markets
For the first time ever Android dominates smartphone sales across Europe, the U.S., and Australia, according to new figures released by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, driven in part by consumers trading up from feature phones.
At least half of smartphone sales in the countries covered by ComTech's analysis were for Google's mobile operating systems. This, says the market analysis firm, is the first time this has happened across said nations.
For the 12 weeks ending 10th June 2012
Android / iOS
US 50.2% / 37.4%
UK 57.2% / 25.6%
Australia 56.9% / 30.5%
Germany 68.5% / 17%
France 58.8% / 14.7%
Italy 49.6% / 20.2%
Spain 84.1% / 3.2%
The reason for Android's popularity is due, in part, to feature phone users trading up to smartphones.
"Android handsets currently offer an easier platform to enable these consumers to upgrade, as many first time smartphone consumers state 'price of handset' and 'multimedia capabilities' as their main reason for choosing an Android device," said ComTech's consumer insight director Dominic Sunnebo.
"Smartphone consumers are much more loyal to their brand of handset and carrier than feature phone consumers, highlighting the importance of capturing feature phone owners when they are starting to look to change their handset," he added.
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...