News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: S-commerce revenues to double in next 5 years
Barclays' new Social Media Commerce report forecasts that, by 2021, more than 4 in ten of the UK population will be influenced by or using social media to make a purchase.
The next generation of shoppers will be a social one, claims Barclays, as sites like Pinterest and Facebook further blur the boundaries between social and shopping.
By 2012, 41% of the population of the UK will be using s-commerce, says Barclays. That forecast rises significantly among younger users. Currently, 45% of 25 to 34 year olds already engage in s-commerce but that figure is set to rise to a whopping 73% by 2012.
In terms of revenues, they are set to more than double in the next five years from $2.2 billion to $5 billion. Retailers in the fashion, footwear, music, film and grocery industries are expected to see the most significant gains.
"Shopping has always been a social activity right back to the days when people bartered rather than paid for goods. It wasn't until the arrival of e-commerce that the social aspect of shopping was removed," said Richard Lowe, Head of Retail & Wholesale at Barclays, in a recent press release.
"For most consumers the social element is fundamental - shopping it is a leisure activity in the British psyche - so being able to reintroduce this aspect into the online purchasing process is a powerful tool for retailers".
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...