News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK boasts many online shoppers but few firms do business online
The European Commission's latest Digital Agenda Scoreboard reveals that, despite the majority of the UK population using the Internet to shop, very few British firms do business online.
A whopping 81% of people in the UK log on to the Internet at least once a week, 13% more than the EU average of 68%. Furthermore, almost three-quarters (71%) of Brits now shop online.
However, just 14.9% of businesses in the UK do business online.
Adam Stewart, marketing director at Rakuten's Play.com, said the Digital Agenda Scoreboard made for frustrating reading.
"The Internet should be liberating Britain's smaller retailers. The web is essentially a customizable shop front, requiring minimal infrastructure costs, while attracting footfall beyond the confines of the high street," said Stewart. "You don't need to hire a web developer to get involved either, using marketplaces like Rakuten's Play.com, small retailers can avoid the administrative headaches of payment systems and portal set-up, and simply get products quickly to market."
Figures recently released by the Interactive Advertising Bureau Europe reveal that Internet users in the UK make almost a third of all their purchases online. Furthermore, UK Internet users spend 32% of their total shopping budget online followed by online shoppers in Germany who spend just over a quarter of their total spending online (25.4%).
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...