News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK boasts many online shoppers but few firms do business online
The European Commission's latest Digital Agenda Scoreboard reveals that, despite the majority of the UK population using the Internet to shop, very few British firms do business online.
A whopping 81% of people in the UK log on to the Internet at least once a week, 13% more than the EU average of 68%. Furthermore, almost three-quarters (71%) of Brits now shop online.
However, just 14.9% of businesses in the UK do business online.
Adam Stewart, marketing director at Rakuten's Play.com, said the Digital Agenda Scoreboard made for frustrating reading.
"The Internet should be liberating Britain's smaller retailers. The web is essentially a customizable shop front, requiring minimal infrastructure costs, while attracting footfall beyond the confines of the high street," said Stewart. "You don't need to hire a web developer to get involved either, using marketplaces like Rakuten's Play.com, small retailers can avoid the administrative headaches of payment systems and portal set-up, and simply get products quickly to market."
Figures recently released by the Interactive Advertising Bureau Europe reveal that Internet users in the UK make almost a third of all their purchases online. Furthermore, UK Internet users spend 32% of their total shopping budget online followed by online shoppers in Germany who spend just over a quarter of their total spending online (25.4%).
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...