News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Unclutter webpages for better ad ROI
Hey, publishers, leaner website pages could lead to deeper engagement for readers, making advertisers happier. According to a new study from SAY Media, collaborating with IPG Media Lab, web pages with less 'noise' created a more positive impact from a consumer perspective.
Clutter fixers are the rage in cities, turning stuffed closets and garages into leaner showpieces. The same is true for online media, according to the SAY Media report. comScore research shows the average person spends 40 seconds on-site while more data indicates users see only about three-quarters on webpages filled with other ads, images and content.
The SAY/IPG report finds users saw 100% of ads on cleaner pages, based on eye tracking data.
"Clutter is killing digital media," said Troy Young, president, SAY Media. "Publishers keep adding more and more ads, because yield is becoming so low, and ads aren't in view long enough to really drive results, leading to incredibly cluttered Web pages. SAY is eliminating clutter with Clean layouts and premium ad environments that are working better for brands and offering a better experience for the consumer."
Other interesting findings include:
• Consumers see 'clean' sites a more useful and more trustworthy
• Clean websites have ad interaction times of 6.4 seconds, nearly double the time spent on cluttered sites
• Ad recall increased on clean websites
• Key Message Association and Purchase Intent metrics saw increases on clean websites
"In a fully mediated world, consumers have many more choices competing for their attention," said Brian Monahan, IPG Media Lab. "The amount of attention on a Web page is relatively fixed and Clean ads are garnering more attention than those on cluttered pages. Higher attention to ads is the gateway to better brand and engagement performance."
Researchers used eye-tracking as well as survey methods to come to their results.
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...