News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers pinning on Pinterest
Since the 2011 holidays ecommerce has seen steady action; many of those retailers are using email to stay connected with shoppers, finds new data from Responsys. But email isn't the only space having a retail impact - the data from Responsys finds a growing number of retailers are turning to Pinterest to promote their goods.
According to Responsys retail email saw a 19% increase (Year over Year) in May, with retailers sending just over 16 promotional emails during the month. Overall email volume has increased about 18% compared to January - May 2011.
Added to email is the new social bookmarking/photo sharing site Pinterest, which has seen rapid adoption from the consumer side. According to Responsys nearly one-third (33%) of retailers have used Pinterest to promote products; 28% are linking to Pinboards through promotional emails, 7% are promoting contests and 4% use Pinterest's 'pin it' buttons to encourage sharing within the site.
"Retailers are still in the earlier phases of launching their Pinterest pages, with many just trying to build awareness of their pinboards," said Chad White, Responsys Research Director. "While adoption has slowed significantly over the past few weeks, I expect another wave of adoption this summer before retailers gear up for the critical holiday season. Evidence is mounting that consumers engage with more retailers on Pinterest than on other social networks and are much more likely to purchase based on that interaction, so the opportunity is just too big for most retailers to ignore."
The summer months of June and July are traditionally slower for the retail market, but Father's Day (US) is coming up in just one week and that could push a big more ecommerce spending. Data from the National Retail Federation predicts American's will spend over $12 billion on Dad this year - that is a 10% increase over 2011 numbers.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...