News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Physical video spend down, online options increasing
New data out from iSupply and comScore indicates a continuing consumer trend: online video. While traditional television viewing has been time-shifted to DVR or online, now data indicates more streaming of movie and other content as well. In fact, iSupply reports physical video spending - for those owning a DVD or Blu-Ray player - decreased more than $133 per household, an 11% decline (2011 vs. 2010).
Physical video media spending has been slipping since 2004 and is expected to decrease to just over $123/household in 2012. Video rental spending is also on the decline, 7.3% down (2011 vs 2010). At the same time, spending on streaming events is on the up.
"The overall view for U.S. video spending is less bleak when other forms of transactional and on-demand subscription video are added to the mix," said Michael Arrington, senior analyst for U.S. video at IHS. "If revenue were to be added from other viewing options such as video-on-demand, Internet-based sales and rentals, and subscription streaming from providers like Netflix and Hulu Plus--alternatives to physical disc purchases and rentals that consumers have been steadily gravitating toward for the past several years--consumer spending across all outlets of home video would amount to nearly $17.2 billion, a much more substantial figure."
For April comScore reports more than 181 million US online consumers watched more than 35 billion video clips. While Google's YouTube remains for the forerunner for video consumption, full-episodes hosts like Hulu account for more than 28 million unique viewers and 901 million video sessions.
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...