News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: Mobile to push call-based ads higher
As more consumers move to mobile, businesses are finding more leads calling in via smart and feature phones. If fact mobile calls to businesses are expected to out-pace calls based on desktop search more than six times over.
"The rapid growth in smartphone penetration has put us on the cusp of a watershed moment in local advertising," said Matt Booth, chief strategy officer and program director, Interactive Local Media, BIA/Kelsey. "Mobile is about to unleash a massive increase in call-based ad inventory, which will be so vast that many established companies will scramble to align their advertising portfolios to accept call-based ad products."
The new forecast indicates calls to businesses from search queries will hang just under 14 per month (2013) while calls from mobile phones will reach nearly 81 per month. Marchex reports mobile was responsible for more than 80% of calls to their business - 90 million calls.
Peter Christothoulou, president of Marchex said, "Mobile is the big driver and accounted for 83 percent of the 90 million calls we connected in Q1 2012. Local and national businesses are both getting into this market. We are already seeing some national brands allocate as much as 20 percent of their digital advertising budgets to generate calls and expect this to continue to grow."
On average in 2011 the report shows US based businesses received 10.9 calls because of desktop search queries while mobile accounted for 34.7 calls (monthly) - these include mobile search queries.
This is a strong indicator that businesses using call-based ads need to include mobile functionality to help engage customers calling in.
The full findings will be released during a panel at the BIA/Kelsey Mobile Local Media San Francisco event on June 27.
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
- Reports: Consumers want television everywhere
- SMBs: The marketplace is getting tougher
- Platforms hope to push interactivity
- How password security is changing ecommerce
- Gracenote releases video APIs
- Enhanced data, engagement behind 3 new releases
Featured White Papers
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...
- Display Ad Clickers Are Not Your Customers
Relying on clicks to drive conversions for display advertising is often a dead end. Consumers most likely to click on...