News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Over half of U.S. pensioners online
Many people that turn 65 and end their working lives can feel isolated. However, today's retirees are more connected than ever before, according to new data from Pew Internet and American Life Project.
For the first time, half of Americans age 65 and over are going online. Pew's latest data reveals that 53% of retirees are connected with recent growth exceeding that of the past few years.
Their Internet use isn't erratic, 70% use the Internet on a daily basis, compared with 82% of all Internet users. Email is popular with online seniors. Nearly half use email on a typical day. However, social networking sites, such as Facebook and LinkedIn, are not as popular. Just 34% of seniors use these at all, and only 18% on a typical day.
It's not just the Internet that has grabbed the attention of over 65s. About 70% own a mobile phone, up from 57% two years ago.
"It's great news for the relaunch of our website and PhotoVideogram App on Grandparents Day in September as the 'Grandparents.com Social Network,'" said Jeffrey Mahl, President of Grandparents.com, "The 50+ demographic is adopting the web at an ever accelerating rate, which enhances our strategic marketing plan to grow in the online business with America's greatest, most talented and experienced national resource - our grandparents! They have so much to give back."
Pew's research found that, after age 75, Internet usage drops off. Internet adoption among the "G.I. Generation" has only reached 34%.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...