News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Over half of U.S. pensioners online
Many people that turn 65 and end their working lives can feel isolated. However, today's retirees are more connected than ever before, according to new data from Pew Internet and American Life Project.
For the first time, half of Americans age 65 and over are going online. Pew's latest data reveals that 53% of retirees are connected with recent growth exceeding that of the past few years.
Their Internet use isn't erratic, 70% use the Internet on a daily basis, compared with 82% of all Internet users. Email is popular with online seniors. Nearly half use email on a typical day. However, social networking sites, such as Facebook and LinkedIn, are not as popular. Just 34% of seniors use these at all, and only 18% on a typical day.
It's not just the Internet that has grabbed the attention of over 65s. About 70% own a mobile phone, up from 57% two years ago.
"It's great news for the relaunch of our website and PhotoVideogram App on Grandparents Day in September as the 'Grandparents.com Social Network,'" said Jeffrey Mahl, President of Grandparents.com, "The 50+ demographic is adopting the web at an ever accelerating rate, which enhances our strategic marketing plan to grow in the online business with America's greatest, most talented and experienced national resource - our grandparents! They have so much to give back."
Pew's research found that, after age 75, Internet usage drops off. Internet adoption among the "G.I. Generation" has only reached 34%.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...