News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video engaging, but is advertising?
New data out from NPD Display Search finds about 70% of people are now engaging with video content outside of the traditional television set. Tablet viewing, especially, is pushing more content engagement, with views more than doubling in many areas.
Viewing video via tablet, smartphone or PC are three ways viewers are staying in contact with entertainment, news, sports and other content.
"While the trends vary by region, it is evident that consumers around the globe are watching more video and TV content with their portable electronic devices as these provide additional means of accessing content," said Riddhi Patel, Research Director of Consumer Insights for NPD DisplaySearch. "Despite this increase, however, TVs still remain the primary device of choice for viewing TV content, with 30% of consumers reporting that they view TV/video content on TVs alone."
But, just because people are watching content, they aren't necessarily also watched video ads. According to a recent comScore report about one-third (31%) of video ad impression samples were delivered but not watched - this is a problem for advertisers in the video space.
"It is increasingly valuable to measure beyond the click and understand how viewers are engaging and the likelihood of purchase intent," said Diaz Nesamoney, CEO of Jivox. "The results from our survey on Brand Engagement Lift illustrate the need for advertisers to maximize the number of quality interactions, such as social sharing, to increase ROI."
According to Jivox it is as important to measure aspects like Brand Lift and interaction rates as well we clicks. The company has released a new metric, Brand Engagement Lift. In a preliminary report researchers found:
• 7% average interaction rate, 480% higher than average click-thru rates
• 49% brand engagement lift (average)
• Entertainment ads average a 60% Brand Engagement Lift
• Interactions like watching a secondary video, taking a quiz or finding a local store lead
The new metric looks at how viewers are engaging beyond the run of the video ad. So, if a viewer watches a:30 ad for a new car and then clicks over to a quiz about that car or a second video - perhaps a video review - the length of that engagement is also measured to help brands better understand what is happening from that clip.
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
- Report: Fraud, conversions linked to traffic numbers
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...