News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video engaging, but is advertising?
New data out from NPD Display Search finds about 70% of people are now engaging with video content outside of the traditional television set. Tablet viewing, especially, is pushing more content engagement, with views more than doubling in many areas.
Viewing video via tablet, smartphone or PC are three ways viewers are staying in contact with entertainment, news, sports and other content.
"While the trends vary by region, it is evident that consumers around the globe are watching more video and TV content with their portable electronic devices as these provide additional means of accessing content," said Riddhi Patel, Research Director of Consumer Insights for NPD DisplaySearch. "Despite this increase, however, TVs still remain the primary device of choice for viewing TV content, with 30% of consumers reporting that they view TV/video content on TVs alone."
But, just because people are watching content, they aren't necessarily also watched video ads. According to a recent comScore report about one-third (31%) of video ad impression samples were delivered but not watched - this is a problem for advertisers in the video space.
"It is increasingly valuable to measure beyond the click and understand how viewers are engaging and the likelihood of purchase intent," said Diaz Nesamoney, CEO of Jivox. "The results from our survey on Brand Engagement Lift illustrate the need for advertisers to maximize the number of quality interactions, such as social sharing, to increase ROI."
According to Jivox it is as important to measure aspects like Brand Lift and interaction rates as well we clicks. The company has released a new metric, Brand Engagement Lift. In a preliminary report researchers found:
• 7% average interaction rate, 480% higher than average click-thru rates
• 49% brand engagement lift (average)
• Entertainment ads average a 60% Brand Engagement Lift
• Interactions like watching a secondary video, taking a quiz or finding a local store lead
The new metric looks at how viewers are engaging beyond the run of the video ad. So, if a viewer watches a:30 ad for a new car and then clicks over to a quiz about that car or a second video - perhaps a video review - the length of that engagement is also measured to help brands better understand what is happening from that clip.
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...