News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video engaging, but is advertising?
New data out from NPD Display Search finds about 70% of people are now engaging with video content outside of the traditional television set. Tablet viewing, especially, is pushing more content engagement, with views more than doubling in many areas.
Viewing video via tablet, smartphone or PC are three ways viewers are staying in contact with entertainment, news, sports and other content.
"While the trends vary by region, it is evident that consumers around the globe are watching more video and TV content with their portable electronic devices as these provide additional means of accessing content," said Riddhi Patel, Research Director of Consumer Insights for NPD DisplaySearch. "Despite this increase, however, TVs still remain the primary device of choice for viewing TV content, with 30% of consumers reporting that they view TV/video content on TVs alone."
But, just because people are watching content, they aren't necessarily also watched video ads. According to a recent comScore report about one-third (31%) of video ad impression samples were delivered but not watched - this is a problem for advertisers in the video space.
"It is increasingly valuable to measure beyond the click and understand how viewers are engaging and the likelihood of purchase intent," said Diaz Nesamoney, CEO of Jivox. "The results from our survey on Brand Engagement Lift illustrate the need for advertisers to maximize the number of quality interactions, such as social sharing, to increase ROI."
According to Jivox it is as important to measure aspects like Brand Lift and interaction rates as well we clicks. The company has released a new metric, Brand Engagement Lift. In a preliminary report researchers found:
• 7% average interaction rate, 480% higher than average click-thru rates
• 49% brand engagement lift (average)
• Entertainment ads average a 60% Brand Engagement Lift
• Interactions like watching a secondary video, taking a quiz or finding a local store lead
The new metric looks at how viewers are engaging beyond the run of the video ad. So, if a viewer watches a:30 ad for a new car and then clicks over to a quiz about that car or a second video - perhaps a video review - the length of that engagement is also measured to help brands better understand what is happening from that clip.
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...