News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile call app could net Facebook $800 million a year in revenue
Facebook needs to up its mobile game, and mobile VoIP firm Rebtel thinks they know exactly how this can be achieved with a mobile call app.
According to research firm Strand Consult, Facebook is already "transporting more mobile traffic, number of messages and time spent online than the world's largest operator (China Mobile)".
This is the reason, says Andreas Bernstrom, CEO of mobile VoIP firm Rebtel, that Facebook should offer international calling, as well as being able to earn a significant amount in revenues.
"Everyone has been critical of Facebook's inability to monetize on mobile, but the social network has a massive opportunity to leverage its vast user base through international calling," said Bernstrom.
"Given its attractive social graph, even if Facebook didn't reach the same conversion rates as Skype, the huge call volume associated with even a fraction of its users could result in dramatic revenues for the company."
According to Rebtel, Facebook has the potential to generate upwards of $64 million each month, or close to $800 million a year in revenues, based on Skype's ARPU of around $8 per user per month.
The announcement came as Facebook admitted growth in mobile use could hurt future advertising revenue.
Facebook desperately needs to up their mobile game. Ahead of its IPO, Facebook told potential investors in a statement: "If users increasingly access Facebook mobile products as a substitute for access through personal computers, and if we are unable to successfully implement monetisation strategies for our mobile users, or if we incur excessive expenses in this effort, our financial performance and ability to grow revenue would be negatively affected."
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...