News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ads, comments ineffective at prompting purchases
A new online poll from Reuters/Ipsos reveals that, despite many businesses hoping to make a sale or two via Facebook, many consumers aren't swayed by ads or comments on the social network.
If Facebook wants to generate revenue from its 900 million users it can't rely on ads and comments. The Reuters/Ipsos survey of just over 1,000 Americans, 21% of whom had no Facebook account, found that four out of five Facebook users have never made a purchase as a result of a comment or an ad on the social network.
Furthermore, a third of Facebook users were found to be spending less time on the social network and just 20% were spending more time.
Facebook's disappointing IPO hasn't done much to impress the social network's users. Almost half (44%) of those polled said they had a less favorable view of the company since it went public.
According to Reuters' press release, "Facebook declined to comment in detail on the survey, but referred to case studies of companies such as Nutella, which found that a 15% increase in sales was attributable to Facebook, and restaurant chain Applebee's, whose Facebook ads delivered a threefold return on investment."
Earlier this year, ExactTarget conducted a poll that revealed while consumers thought social media messaging influenced their buying decisions more than email, it was actually email that prompted more purchases - Facebook 1%/Twitter 4% vs. email 46%.
- Study: Ebay, Amazon the most visible search advertisers
- Mobile users are banking on a date
- Eight in ten disappointed shoppers give retailers no chance to fix problem
- Report: BTS spending to increase
- Study: Behavioral data influencing more shoppers
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
Featured White Papers
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...