News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ads, comments ineffective at prompting purchases
A new online poll from Reuters/Ipsos reveals that, despite many businesses hoping to make a sale or two via Facebook, many consumers aren't swayed by ads or comments on the social network.
If Facebook wants to generate revenue from its 900 million users it can't rely on ads and comments. The Reuters/Ipsos survey of just over 1,000 Americans, 21% of whom had no Facebook account, found that four out of five Facebook users have never made a purchase as a result of a comment or an ad on the social network.
Furthermore, a third of Facebook users were found to be spending less time on the social network and just 20% were spending more time.
Facebook's disappointing IPO hasn't done much to impress the social network's users. Almost half (44%) of those polled said they had a less favorable view of the company since it went public.
According to Reuters' press release, "Facebook declined to comment in detail on the survey, but referred to case studies of companies such as Nutella, which found that a 15% increase in sales was attributable to Facebook, and restaurant chain Applebee's, whose Facebook ads delivered a threefold return on investment."
Earlier this year, ExactTarget conducted a poll that revealed while consumers thought social media messaging influenced their buying decisions more than email, it was actually email that prompted more purchases - Facebook 1%/Twitter 4% vs. email 46%.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...