News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ads, comments ineffective at prompting purchases
A new online poll from Reuters/Ipsos reveals that, despite many businesses hoping to make a sale or two via Facebook, many consumers aren't swayed by ads or comments on the social network.
If Facebook wants to generate revenue from its 900 million users it can't rely on ads and comments. The Reuters/Ipsos survey of just over 1,000 Americans, 21% of whom had no Facebook account, found that four out of five Facebook users have never made a purchase as a result of a comment or an ad on the social network.
Furthermore, a third of Facebook users were found to be spending less time on the social network and just 20% were spending more time.
Facebook's disappointing IPO hasn't done much to impress the social network's users. Almost half (44%) of those polled said they had a less favorable view of the company since it went public.
According to Reuters' press release, "Facebook declined to comment in detail on the survey, but referred to case studies of companies such as Nutella, which found that a 15% increase in sales was attributable to Facebook, and restaurant chain Applebee's, whose Facebook ads delivered a threefold return on investment."
Earlier this year, ExactTarget conducted a poll that revealed while consumers thought social media messaging influenced their buying decisions more than email, it was actually email that prompted more purchases - Facebook 1%/Twitter 4% vs. email 46%.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...