News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ads, comments ineffective at prompting purchases
A new online poll from Reuters/Ipsos reveals that, despite many businesses hoping to make a sale or two via Facebook, many consumers aren't swayed by ads or comments on the social network.
If Facebook wants to generate revenue from its 900 million users it can't rely on ads and comments. The Reuters/Ipsos survey of just over 1,000 Americans, 21% of whom had no Facebook account, found that four out of five Facebook users have never made a purchase as a result of a comment or an ad on the social network.
Furthermore, a third of Facebook users were found to be spending less time on the social network and just 20% were spending more time.
Facebook's disappointing IPO hasn't done much to impress the social network's users. Almost half (44%) of those polled said they had a less favorable view of the company since it went public.
According to Reuters' press release, "Facebook declined to comment in detail on the survey, but referred to case studies of companies such as Nutella, which found that a 15% increase in sales was attributable to Facebook, and restaurant chain Applebee's, whose Facebook ads delivered a threefold return on investment."
Earlier this year, ExactTarget conducted a poll that revealed while consumers thought social media messaging influenced their buying decisions more than email, it was actually email that prompted more purchases - Facebook 1%/Twitter 4% vs. email 46%.
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...