News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ads, comments ineffective at prompting purchases
A new online poll from Reuters/Ipsos reveals that, despite many businesses hoping to make a sale or two via Facebook, many consumers aren't swayed by ads or comments on the social network.
If Facebook wants to generate revenue from its 900 million users it can't rely on ads and comments. The Reuters/Ipsos survey of just over 1,000 Americans, 21% of whom had no Facebook account, found that four out of five Facebook users have never made a purchase as a result of a comment or an ad on the social network.
Furthermore, a third of Facebook users were found to be spending less time on the social network and just 20% were spending more time.
Facebook's disappointing IPO hasn't done much to impress the social network's users. Almost half (44%) of those polled said they had a less favorable view of the company since it went public.
According to Reuters' press release, "Facebook declined to comment in detail on the survey, but referred to case studies of companies such as Nutella, which found that a 15% increase in sales was attributable to Facebook, and restaurant chain Applebee's, whose Facebook ads delivered a threefold return on investment."
Earlier this year, ExactTarget conducted a poll that revealed while consumers thought social media messaging influenced their buying decisions more than email, it was actually email that prompted more purchases - Facebook 1%/Twitter 4% vs. email 46%.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...