News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ebooks now outsell hardbacks
For the first time ever, ebook revenues have exceeded hardcovers, according to new figures released by the Association of American Publishers.
The AAP's figures reveal that, electronic books accounted for $282.3 million in sales in the first quarter of 2012, up 28.1% on last year.
It's the first time that ebook sales have accounted for more revenue than hardcover books, sales of which accounted for $229.6 million in the first quarter of this year, up 2.7% from last year.
The only category in which hardcover books experienced growth was in young adult and children's material. Revenues in this category rose to $187.7 million whereas ebooks reached $64.3, albeit a healthy year-on-year hike from just $3.9 million. As e-reading devices fall in price, and more children have access to e-book readers, this category is set to skyrocket.
Paperbacks continue to lead with $299.8 million in revenue, although there has been a decrease on last year when the format generated $335 million in revenue.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...