News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Direct mail response rates 30 times better than email
The Direct Marketing Association's latest Response Rate Report reveals that direct mail response rates continue to outperform digital alternatives.
The DMA report is based on survey data from 481 online respondents along with display ad transactional data from Bizo and email data from Epsilon.
It found that, despite a drop in direct mail response rates they continue to be well above those for digital channels. Direct mail response rates were at 4.37% 10 years ago, but today they average 3.4%.
But still, direct mail response rates remain well above the 0.12% for email.
It's not at all surprising to learn from the survey that email and other digital channels produce by far the best return on investment.
The DMA in the UK is launching a campaign to showcase direct mail and boost investment in the channel. Called "the Real Deal", the print campaign focuses on the positive impact direct mail has on the economy and society.
"We are doing a lot of work to demonstrate the value of our industry to the economy and the sheer amount of employment in creates from mailing houses to printers, creative agencies and even post men," said DMA director of communication, Rachel Aldighieri. "We are seeing a bit of a decline from the mailing side of things particularly but those traditional mailing companies are really innovating."
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...