News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Direct mail response rates 30 times better than email
The Direct Marketing Association's latest Response Rate Report reveals that direct mail response rates continue to outperform digital alternatives.
The DMA report is based on survey data from 481 online respondents along with display ad transactional data from Bizo and email data from Epsilon.
It found that, despite a drop in direct mail response rates they continue to be well above those for digital channels. Direct mail response rates were at 4.37% 10 years ago, but today they average 3.4%.
But still, direct mail response rates remain well above the 0.12% for email.
It's not at all surprising to learn from the survey that email and other digital channels produce by far the best return on investment.
The DMA in the UK is launching a campaign to showcase direct mail and boost investment in the channel. Called "the Real Deal", the print campaign focuses on the positive impact direct mail has on the economy and society.
"We are doing a lot of work to demonstrate the value of our industry to the economy and the sheer amount of employment in creates from mailing houses to printers, creative agencies and even post men," said DMA director of communication, Rachel Aldighieri. "We are seeing a bit of a decline from the mailing side of things particularly but those traditional mailing companies are really innovating."
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...