News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Zynga sneaks brands into Draw Something game
Users of the Pictionary-style mobile game may soon be drawing their own advertisements, as Zynga inserts brands into the list of words to draw.
In fewer than five months Draw Something attracted 50 million downloads. Unfortunately for Zynga, who paid $200 million for the makers OMGPOP, the hottest mobile game in the world peaked at the time of their purchase and, since then, has been losing daily active users at a rate of knots.
To pull their investment back from the brink, Zynga are introducing a nifty way of inserting advertising into Draw Something. Instead of banner ads a more subtle way to advertise has been devised - brand names will be among the words offered to users to draw.
As others have already noted, brands such as KFC and Nike are already featured in the game. In fact, Zynga already knows that Draw Something users are happy to draw brands thanks to this little experiment.
"People loved to draw the Colonel and bags of Doritos," said Zynga's VP-mobile and general manager for its New York office.
One of the first to get involved is the National Hockey League. They are buying words associated with the game, such as "Zamboni" and "slap shot", according to Ad Age. As an added extra the NHL are posting some of the drawings on their Pinterest page #DrawNHL.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....