News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wildfire study reveals best type of social campaign
With Facebook's IPO on the near horizon pundits are wondering what's next for the social network - some going so far as to predict a clunker in the near future because Facebook isn't quite ready for primetime from an advertiser standpoint.
On Wednesday General Motors announced they were pulling their ad dollars from Facebook citing the ineffectiveness of the social network as an ad partner. Some experts have chimed in in agreement, saying Facebook needs to re-think how ads can be targeted and campaigns developed to become a big advertising player.
New data from Wildfire could be an indicator that in addition to an ad upgrade from Facebook advertisers need to determine what they want from a social ad before signing on to a social network to provide advertising to potential customers. According to their data campaigns generating the most earned media - shares - aren't necessarily the most entered campaigns.
According to the report:
• 82% of socnet users who click on friend's posts about quizzes take the quiz themselves
• Coupons/giveaways get the most entries
• Pick-your-favorite/quizzes/trivia get the most shares
• The biggest earned media payoff comes from campaigns asking for users opinions/tastes
The key here is 'earned media' - extending the reach of a campaign because of a socnet user's sharing of the campaign. For example, User A votes in a poll and allows that poll to be shared on his or her wall; their friends can then take part, share in their wall and the campaign continues to be used, shared and to grow in numbers.
The biggest hitters in the earned media category according to the study were Pick Your Favorite (39% rate of shares), Quizzes (32% sharing rate) and Trivia Contests (29% sharing rate). Sweepstakes and Essay Contests were also in the top five. That earned media rate is also improving engagement.
In addition to the 82% of socnet users who also take quizzes, 74% engage with coupons shared on friend's walls and 74% also take part in giveaways.
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...