News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Total retail sales fall, online sales rise
The most recent retail sales figures from the Office of National Statistics show that, while total retail sales fell steeply, there was hope and growth in online sales.
Total retail sales in the UK during April fell by 1.1% compared to the same month last year, reports the Office of National Statistics (ONS), and by 2.3% when compared to the previous month.
The monthly fall was the largest since January 2010, while the YoY fall was the biggest since August 2011.
Online sales did rather better. ONS online retail sales figures for April averaged $765.6 million, up 18.1% on the same month last year. It was also up on the previous month when an average of $760 million was spent each week.
Online sales accounted for 8.5% of all retail sales in the month. The non-store retailing sector had the largest proportion of Internet sales in April 2012 accounting for 60.6% of all sales in this sector, up from 54.8% in April 2011.
The results reflect employment issues in the UK where unemployment is almost at its highest for 16 years and salaries are experiencing low growth.
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...