News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Total retail sales fall, online sales rise
The most recent retail sales figures from the Office of National Statistics show that, while total retail sales fell steeply, there was hope and growth in online sales.
Total retail sales in the UK during April fell by 1.1% compared to the same month last year, reports the Office of National Statistics (ONS), and by 2.3% when compared to the previous month.
The monthly fall was the largest since January 2010, while the YoY fall was the biggest since August 2011.
Online sales did rather better. ONS online retail sales figures for April averaged $765.6 million, up 18.1% on the same month last year. It was also up on the previous month when an average of $760 million was spent each week.
Online sales accounted for 8.5% of all retail sales in the month. The non-store retailing sector had the largest proportion of Internet sales in April 2012 accounting for 60.6% of all sales in this sector, up from 54.8% in April 2011.
The results reflect employment issues in the UK where unemployment is almost at its highest for 16 years and salaries are experiencing low growth.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...