News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Three-quarters of online users unaware of EU Cookie Law
The deadline for compliance with the EU Cookie Law is looming and, while businesses struggle to get their heads around it, it appears online users are, too.
As the new EU cookie directive looms, a survey of 2,000 online users has found that consumer awareness and knowledge of cookies is sorely lacking.
- A third believe that cookies could be used for viruses and Trojans;
- 8% had never heard of cookies;
- 9% were unaware they could disable cookies.
Similarly, many (75%) of the online users, surveyed by eDigitalResearch and IMRG for the latest eCustomerServiceIndex (eCSI), had not heard of the new EU cookie directive.
However, once they had the new rules and regulations explained to them, nine of out ten felt it was a positive step for consumers and were in favor.
"It's unsurprising that general consumer knowledge surrounding cookies and their uses is a bit confused," said Derek Eccleston, Head of Research, at eDigitalResearch.
"However, once the new rules and regulations come into force, retailers and websites will need to be doing everything in their power to effectively and efficiently educate visitors on how cookies are used, especially those most essential to site performance."
Last month, a survey of 55 major UK-based companies by KPMG revealed a whopping 95% were not compliant at the end of March.
After May 26, 2012, websites that fail to comply with the new EU Cookie Law face fines of up to half a million UK Pounds ($800,000).
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...