News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Tech blogs - software companies more likely to have active blog
The debate rages on - is blogging in decline? Recent research shows that it isn't as easy to pin down as first thought with some sectors blogging more than others.
Last month, the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth released research findings that showed the number of corporate blogs is declining. Back in 2010, half of companies had a corporate blog.
In 2011 that figure declined significantly to just 37%. Among Fortune 500 companies, growth in blogging has leveled off with 23% continuing to blog in 2011, the same as in 2010, compared to 91% who use social media.
But what's happening among tech companies? According to recent research by Percussion Software the news isn't any better. Just 20.5% of mid-market tech companies have a corporate blog. Of that percentage, over a quarter are "dormant" in that they have not been updated for the last 30 days.
In its report "The Paradox of Blogging and Content Management", Percussion discovered a pattern emerging. The bigger a company's revenue the more likely they were to have a blog. Only 15.58% of smaller companies ($20-25 million in annual revenues) have a blog, compared with 19.4% of midsize companies ($30-49 million in revenues) and 25.35% of larger companies ($50-100 million in revenues).
One tech segment bucked the blogging trend in more way than one, found Percussion. Software companies were found to blog more than any other - 42.8% vs. 20.5% for the tech sector overall and over half (55.1%) of smaller software companies, under $20 million in revenues, maintained an active blog.
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...