News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media ad spend overtakes search
A recent survey of advertising agencies by media management firm Strata Marketing reveals that social media advertising has surpassed search and close to overtaking online display advertising.
When Strata surveyed 90 media buying executives that together process $50 billion in media buys annually, they found 69% focused their digital spend on social media. That's more than those who focused on search (65.5%) and just short of online display (71.3%).
Within social media, the majority (85.1%) said they and their clients focused most on Facebook, 44.8% on YouTube, 39.1% on LinkedIn, 24.1% on Google+, 9.2% on Foursquare and 1.1% on MySpace.
Two in ten agencies felt they'll have greater spend in digital than traditional in the next one to three years, although 46% say it will never overtake traditional.
"The advertising community is facing new challenges as the economy returns to a new normal," said John Shelton, CEO and president of Strata. "The introduction of new ad choices is causing the environment to become more complex, changing how agencies and clients view campaigns.
Overall, television is still way ahead of digital as the medium of choice for agencies. Over half (54%) said their clients were most focused on television, with digital coming in second with 24%.
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...