News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media ad spend overtakes search
A recent survey of advertising agencies by media management firm Strata Marketing reveals that social media advertising has surpassed search and close to overtaking online display advertising.
When Strata surveyed 90 media buying executives that together process $50 billion in media buys annually, they found 69% focused their digital spend on social media. That's more than those who focused on search (65.5%) and just short of online display (71.3%).
Within social media, the majority (85.1%) said they and their clients focused most on Facebook, 44.8% on YouTube, 39.1% on LinkedIn, 24.1% on Google+, 9.2% on Foursquare and 1.1% on MySpace.
Two in ten agencies felt they'll have greater spend in digital than traditional in the next one to three years, although 46% say it will never overtake traditional.
"The advertising community is facing new challenges as the economy returns to a new normal," said John Shelton, CEO and president of Strata. "The introduction of new ad choices is causing the environment to become more complex, changing how agencies and clients view campaigns.
Overall, television is still way ahead of digital as the medium of choice for agencies. Over half (54%) said their clients were most focused on television, with digital coming in second with 24%.
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...