News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media ad spend overtakes search
A recent survey of advertising agencies by media management firm Strata Marketing reveals that social media advertising has surpassed search and close to overtaking online display advertising.
When Strata surveyed 90 media buying executives that together process $50 billion in media buys annually, they found 69% focused their digital spend on social media. That's more than those who focused on search (65.5%) and just short of online display (71.3%).
Within social media, the majority (85.1%) said they and their clients focused most on Facebook, 44.8% on YouTube, 39.1% on LinkedIn, 24.1% on Google+, 9.2% on Foursquare and 1.1% on MySpace.
Two in ten agencies felt they'll have greater spend in digital than traditional in the next one to three years, although 46% say it will never overtake traditional.
"The advertising community is facing new challenges as the economy returns to a new normal," said John Shelton, CEO and president of Strata. "The introduction of new ad choices is causing the environment to become more complex, changing how agencies and clients view campaigns.
Overall, television is still way ahead of digital as the medium of choice for agencies. Over half (54%) said their clients were most focused on television, with digital coming in second with 24%.
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...