News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Apple to continue tablet dominance
When it comes to tablets, so far, there is Apple and then the rest of the pack. Although Amazon's Kindle Fire came out of the gate swinging last November, numbers have since tapered off while Apple's iPad continues to move steadily forward.
More than 126 million tablet units are expected to ship in 2012, up 85% from 2011 numbers.
New data out from iSuppli predicts iPad will be the dominant tablet interface at least through 2012. Apple is expected to hold only a 61% share of the tablet space for the second year in a row (2011-2012). Android, meanwhile, which hosts the operating system for a dearth of tablets including the Kindle Fire is expected to end 2012 with a 38% share of the marketplace.
During Q4 2011 Android's market share increased to 41.1%.
"The key to Apple's media-tablet success has been its offering of a complete hardware-plus-content ecosystem," said Rhoda Alexander, director for monitors and tablets research at IHS. "The combination of a good-looking device, well-designed applications, video, books and music has provided consumers with an easy-to-use product and an appealing use case. Such an ecosystem took Apple years to put together, starting with the iPod plus iTunes Music Store more than nine years ago, and it's proving to be a challenge for the company's competitors to replicate it."
A smaller version of the iPad, still only a rumor across the tablet space, which could release later in 2012 if the rumors are true, will further cement Apple's tablet leadership, notes the researcher.
Meanwhile, Velti's April numbers are out and indicate adoption of the iPad 3 is increasing at a slower rate than that of the iPad 2 where advertising is concerned. Apple's iOS holds 53% of ad impressions (March 2012) and holds a mobile impression rate - across the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch units - of 48%.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...