News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than a third of Brits read email on mobile
Many British consumers now read marketing emails on their mobile devices, according to a new report from UK-based digital agency Steel London. Marketers need to consider when and where their messages are opened to maximize opens and engagement.
Overall, over a third (36%) of consumers in the UK now read emails on their mobile devices. Among 18-34 year olds this number rises significantly to over half (55%).
Furthermore, those that read emails on their mobile take action - two-thirds act on mobile emails with most (42%) clicking through to a website or making a purchase (30%).
Steel's report found that 38% of those who read emails on their mobile device did so because the subject line piqued their interest. This behavior underlines the need for marketers to adapt their email marketing for mobile to ensure their marketing messages are easily read across a multitude of devices, but to also remember traditional email marketing rules still apply.
However, despite the rise in mobile use, many emails aren't being tailored to viewing on these devices and users are disgruntled:-
- Overall, 42% complain of too much scrolling;
- 89% of consumers age 55+ complain of too much scrolling;
- Overall, 29% complain of emails being in the wrong layout for their mobile;
- 45% of 18-34 year olds complain of emails being in the wrong layout for their device;
- 27% complain there is too much content in emails, and;
- 20% complain that links are not easy to use.
"Consumers are using their mobile as their preferred media and communication device," says Andy Hinder, owner and CEO at Steel. "Because of this, the mobile has become the gatekeeper for further action and engagement with emails."
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...