News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than a third of Brits read email on mobile
Many British consumers now read marketing emails on their mobile devices, according to a new report from UK-based digital agency Steel London. Marketers need to consider when and where their messages are opened to maximize opens and engagement.
Overall, over a third (36%) of consumers in the UK now read emails on their mobile devices. Among 18-34 year olds this number rises significantly to over half (55%).
Furthermore, those that read emails on their mobile take action - two-thirds act on mobile emails with most (42%) clicking through to a website or making a purchase (30%).
Steel's report found that 38% of those who read emails on their mobile device did so because the subject line piqued their interest. This behavior underlines the need for marketers to adapt their email marketing for mobile to ensure their marketing messages are easily read across a multitude of devices, but to also remember traditional email marketing rules still apply.
However, despite the rise in mobile use, many emails aren't being tailored to viewing on these devices and users are disgruntled:-
- Overall, 42% complain of too much scrolling;
- 89% of consumers age 55+ complain of too much scrolling;
- Overall, 29% complain of emails being in the wrong layout for their mobile;
- 45% of 18-34 year olds complain of emails being in the wrong layout for their device;
- 27% complain there is too much content in emails, and;
- 20% complain that links are not easy to use.
"Consumers are using their mobile as their preferred media and communication device," says Andy Hinder, owner and CEO at Steel. "Because of this, the mobile has become the gatekeeper for further action and engagement with emails."
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...