News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
M-commerce quadruples in past two years
Over two-thirds of smartphone users now shop online using their device, according to new research from eDigitalResearch and Portaltech Reply, quadruple the number that did so two years ago.
In the two years to June 2012, the number of people using their smartphone to shop online has quadrupled. Today, 64% of smartphone owners use their device to shop. Shopping through the mobile web has remained more popular than via mobile apps.
Furthermore, a whopping 84% of smartphone owners have used their device to browse websites with a third doing so on a daily basis. Over three-quarters (77%) use their smartphone to research products.
"The growth of mobile is completely unprecedented and the rate of change that we've tracked over the past two years is alarming. Back in June 2010, we predicted that smartphones were likely to play an increasingly significant part in consumer's busy lifestyles, and whilst in 2011 we found that great strides had been made towards this, these latest set of results demonstrate that this trend is now irreversible," said Derek Eccleston, Head of Research at eDigitalResearch.
"It is therefore essential that all retailers and brands make their mobile channels as accessible as possible to maximize the potential that m-commerce has to offer."
Looking to the future, the growth of mobile commerce shows little sign of slowing. eDigitalResearch found that 44% will use their smartphone more to browse the mobile web in the coming months and a third (31%) say they will buy more.
Recent research from the IAB Mobile Marketing Center for Excellence found that, far from being intrusive, most mobile shoppers (71%) welcome ads on their devices and viewed them as a personal invitation from brands.
Mobile ads were second only to convenience at encouraging consumers to shop on their devices, found the research. A quarter (24%) cited convenience as the main reason for using their mobile to shop while 22% said they were responding to a mobile ad.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...