News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
JiWire: Wi-Fi connections important for shopping consumers
Wi-Fi connections may have some security issues according to experts, but those issues aren't turning consumers off. New data from JiWire indicates traffic from both smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi have increased significantly over the past quarter, with most users citing the faster connection as the reason they're using public Wi-Fi over 3G/4G connections.
In March, comScore found the top smartphone platforms were Google (51% market share), Apple (30.7% market share) and RIM (12% market share); 106 million Americans are now using smartphones. Texting (74%), downloaded apps (50%) and mobile browsers (49%) were the three top actions used on smartphones.
Another hotspot? According to the latest JiWire Mobile Audience Insights Report mobile wallets are also gaining steam. More than one-third (37%) of mobile consumers are now utilizing mobile wallets (Q1 2012); their research also shows nearly 10% of those who haven't used a mobile wallet are interested in the concept. Of those using mobile wallets nearly half (46%) use Paypal, 29% have used Amazon and 18% have used Google Wallet.
"This rapid adoption of mobile wallets reinforces that the market is reop for this sort of technological advance. Consumers seem to be both comfortable and curious about using their mobile phones to purchase," said Dee Dee Paeseler, Director of Strategic Marketing, JiWire. "Brands and retailers should take note: this trend is key in closing the loop, making location context even more important as the peak intersection point for reaching the right consumers at precisely the right time."
Meanwhile, Wi-Fi traffic from smartphones has increased to 31% while tablets account for 14% of Wi-Fi traffic. Laptop traffic has decreased from 70% (Q1 2011) to 55% (Q1 2012).
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...