News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
JiWire: Wi-Fi connections important for shopping consumers
Wi-Fi connections may have some security issues according to experts, but those issues aren't turning consumers off. New data from JiWire indicates traffic from both smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi have increased significantly over the past quarter, with most users citing the faster connection as the reason they're using public Wi-Fi over 3G/4G connections.
In March, comScore found the top smartphone platforms were Google (51% market share), Apple (30.7% market share) and RIM (12% market share); 106 million Americans are now using smartphones. Texting (74%), downloaded apps (50%) and mobile browsers (49%) were the three top actions used on smartphones.
Another hotspot? According to the latest JiWire Mobile Audience Insights Report mobile wallets are also gaining steam. More than one-third (37%) of mobile consumers are now utilizing mobile wallets (Q1 2012); their research also shows nearly 10% of those who haven't used a mobile wallet are interested in the concept. Of those using mobile wallets nearly half (46%) use Paypal, 29% have used Amazon and 18% have used Google Wallet.
"This rapid adoption of mobile wallets reinforces that the market is reop for this sort of technological advance. Consumers seem to be both comfortable and curious about using their mobile phones to purchase," said Dee Dee Paeseler, Director of Strategic Marketing, JiWire. "Brands and retailers should take note: this trend is key in closing the loop, making location context even more important as the peak intersection point for reaching the right consumers at precisely the right time."
Meanwhile, Wi-Fi traffic from smartphones has increased to 31% while tablets account for 14% of Wi-Fi traffic. Laptop traffic has decreased from 70% (Q1 2011) to 55% (Q1 2012).
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...