News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
JiWire: Wi-Fi connections important for shopping consumers
Wi-Fi connections may have some security issues according to experts, but those issues aren't turning consumers off. New data from JiWire indicates traffic from both smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi have increased significantly over the past quarter, with most users citing the faster connection as the reason they're using public Wi-Fi over 3G/4G connections.
In March, comScore found the top smartphone platforms were Google (51% market share), Apple (30.7% market share) and RIM (12% market share); 106 million Americans are now using smartphones. Texting (74%), downloaded apps (50%) and mobile browsers (49%) were the three top actions used on smartphones.
Another hotspot? According to the latest JiWire Mobile Audience Insights Report mobile wallets are also gaining steam. More than one-third (37%) of mobile consumers are now utilizing mobile wallets (Q1 2012); their research also shows nearly 10% of those who haven't used a mobile wallet are interested in the concept. Of those using mobile wallets nearly half (46%) use Paypal, 29% have used Amazon and 18% have used Google Wallet.
"This rapid adoption of mobile wallets reinforces that the market is reop for this sort of technological advance. Consumers seem to be both comfortable and curious about using their mobile phones to purchase," said Dee Dee Paeseler, Director of Strategic Marketing, JiWire. "Brands and retailers should take note: this trend is key in closing the loop, making location context even more important as the peak intersection point for reaching the right consumers at precisely the right time."
Meanwhile, Wi-Fi traffic from smartphones has increased to 31% while tablets account for 14% of Wi-Fi traffic. Laptop traffic has decreased from 70% (Q1 2011) to 55% (Q1 2012).
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...