News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Global mobile payment transactions rise 61.9% YoY
Near-field communication payments won't hit the mass market until 2015, says Gartner in a recent report, but global mobile payment transaction values are set to grow by 42% a year as the number of mobile payment users rise.
Global mobile payment transaction values will exceed $171.5 billion this year, a 61.9% increase from 2011.
The number of mobile payment users will also rise this year. An additional 50 million people will use mobile payments in 2012 bringing to total to 212.2 million.
Gartner are forecasting a market worth $617 billion by 2016, with 448 million users.
However, near-field communication transaction volumes are forecast to remain relatively low through 2015, although growth is expected to pick up from 2016.
For the meantime, ticketing, rather than retail payments, will drive NFC transactions, according to Gartner's "Forecast: Mobile Payment, Worldwide, 2009-2016" report. That's because NFC payment requires, not only a change in user behavior, but collaboration between stakeholders including banks, card networks, merchants and mobile carriers.
PayPal has been busy ramping up its offline presence. As well as rolling out their payment solution to all 2,000 Home Depot's stores, another 15 brick-and-mortar retailers have agreed to use PayPal's offline payment solution.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...