News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Days before IPO third-largest U.S. advertiser pulls ads from Facebook
The third-largest advertiser in the U.S. has stated it will cease advertising on the world's largest social network because ads are ineffective.
As Facebook prepares to trade on the Nasdaq General Motors Co has pulled advertising from Facebook. The US auto giant had ad expenditures of $1.8 billion in 2011, according to Kantar Media, and spends about $10 million on paid advertising and $30 million on unpaid marketing on Facebook.
"In terms of Facebook specifically, while we currently do not plan to continue with advertising, we remain committed to an aggressive content strategy through all of our products and brands, as it continues to be a very effective tool for engaging with our customers," GM told Politico.
Why is GM pulling their Facebook ads? Simply put, they were failing to drive business.
GM won't be pulling out of Facebook completely. They intend to continue managing their Facebook Pages, which cost nothing to create.
However, not everyone is disillusioned with Facebook advertising. Both Ford and Subaru are reported as being pleased with results and are boosting spending.
"Advertising plus content equals more clicks to our website, which we like," said Subaru spokesman Michael McHale.
A recent AP-CNBC poll revealed that over half (57%) of Facebook users aren't clicking on ads or sponsored content. Another 26% say they rarely click on such content.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...