News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
By end of 2012 more email will be read on mobile than desktop
The need to optimize email for mobile users is even more important than ever given that, according to new research by Return Path, more people will be viewing email on their mobile devices than on webmail or desktop by the end of 2012.
Return Path's survey, "Email in Motion: Mobile is Leading the Email Revolution", reveals that mobile email views are up significantly year on year. From March 2011 through March 2012, mobile email views rose 82.4% with 88% of people checking email on their mobile device on a daily basis.
Eighty-five percent of mobile email opens were done on an Apple-branded device. The iPad saw a 54% annual growth in mobile email use.
So, that's the good news. The bad news for those businesses that have not yet optimized email for mobile is that almost two-thirds of Americans and 41% of Europeans will simply close or delete an email that doesn't render well on their mobile device. That's a lot of lost customers.
And, businesses better be quick to act. Return Path forecasts that, by the end of this year, more emails will be read on a mobile device than on webmail or desktop.
"The future of computing is mobile. Our data clearly shows the trend for email consumption: more and more people are using smartphones and tablets and moving away from PCs and desktop," said Matt Blumberg, CEO at Return Path.
"Despite this, a recent study by Econsultancy found that nearly half of marketers don't know how many mobile subscribers they have. Marketers that don't have the basic data they need to figure out their mobile strategy will likely lose out."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...