News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
By end of 2012 more email will be read on mobile than desktop
The need to optimize email for mobile users is even more important than ever given that, according to new research by Return Path, more people will be viewing email on their mobile devices than on webmail or desktop by the end of 2012.
Return Path's survey, "Email in Motion: Mobile is Leading the Email Revolution", reveals that mobile email views are up significantly year on year. From March 2011 through March 2012, mobile email views rose 82.4% with 88% of people checking email on their mobile device on a daily basis.
Eighty-five percent of mobile email opens were done on an Apple-branded device. The iPad saw a 54% annual growth in mobile email use.
So, that's the good news. The bad news for those businesses that have not yet optimized email for mobile is that almost two-thirds of Americans and 41% of Europeans will simply close or delete an email that doesn't render well on their mobile device. That's a lot of lost customers.
And, businesses better be quick to act. Return Path forecasts that, by the end of this year, more emails will be read on a mobile device than on webmail or desktop.
"The future of computing is mobile. Our data clearly shows the trend for email consumption: more and more people are using smartphones and tablets and moving away from PCs and desktop," said Matt Blumberg, CEO at Return Path.
"Despite this, a recent study by Econsultancy found that nearly half of marketers don't know how many mobile subscribers they have. Marketers that don't have the basic data they need to figure out their mobile strategy will likely lose out."
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...