News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
As IPO looms poll reveals undercurrent of user mistrust of Facebook
It's this week's hot topic - Facebook's IPO. But amidst the financial fan-fare lies an undercurrent of mistrust among users, according to a new poll just released by AP-CNBC.
Along with the moans and bitching accompanying Facebook's test of paid-for status highlighting that peppered my newsfeed last week was an air of mistrust and musings about what will take over from Facebook once the appeal fades.
The paid-for status test has highlighted user mistrust for Facebook, and so has a recent AP-CNBC poll of 1,004 Facebook users. It found that, despite spending between 6 and 7 hours per month on the social network, nearly 6 out of 10 users had little or no trust that Facebook kept their personal information private.
Furthermore, as Facebook nears its IPO, almost half (46%) of those polled said they thought Facebook was a passing fad while 43% believe the social network is here to stay for the long term.
When it comes to advertising, on which Facebook relies for revenue, over half (57%) of users aren't clicking on ads or sponsored content. Another 26% say they rarely click on such content.
Facebook commerce could also be a hard nut for Zuckerberg to crack with just 8% of users polled saying that they felt "very" or "extremely" safe using Facebook to purchase goods or services. Over half (54%) said they don't feel safe conducting financial transactions over Facebook.
As for the Facebook valuation of nearly $100 billion, 50% thought it was too high. Nearly two-thirds of active investors think it will be over-valued and just 27% say it will be fairly priced.
CNBC is reporting that a source close to the deal, who wishes to remain anonymous, has advised that Facebook is closing the books on the IPO today (Tuesday, May 15) in preparation for trading to begin on Friday.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...