News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
After almost 20 years of banner ads, who is clicking?
Internet users have been presented with banner ads for nearly 20 years, but who's clicking them and who's not. A new infographic from Prestige Marketing reveals some insights on who clicks ads and the reasons many don't click.
Banner ads first appeared on the screens of Internet users back in 1994. Since then they have evolved to be more interactive and eye-catching. But who is clicking on banner ads today?
An infographic produced by Killer Infographics for Prestige marketing reveals that those who click are:
- More likely to be age 55+;
- 71% are college graduates;
- 59% have a high-school education or less;
- 58% of those aged 15-24 have clicked on a banner ad.
Four in 10 people (39%) clicked on a banner ad because it either showed a product they were already interested in or the ad piqued their interest in a product they had not heard of before.
However, there were far more reasons given for not clicking on a banner ad including not wanting to be distracted from the task in hand (61%) or the fear of picking up a virus (55%).
Other reasons for Internet users avoiding banner ads include:
- 58% said banner ads were irrelevant;
- 57% were concerned about spam;
- 54% distrust most banner ads;
- 46% worry their screen will be overtaken with pop-up ads;
- 31% had to be 'in the mood' to click on an ad;
- Another 31% were wary of clicking on banner ads for fear they'd be tracked.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...