News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
After almost 20 years of banner ads, who is clicking?
Internet users have been presented with banner ads for nearly 20 years, but who's clicking them and who's not. A new infographic from Prestige Marketing reveals some insights on who clicks ads and the reasons many don't click.
Banner ads first appeared on the screens of Internet users back in 1994. Since then they have evolved to be more interactive and eye-catching. But who is clicking on banner ads today?
An infographic produced by Killer Infographics for Prestige marketing reveals that those who click are:
- More likely to be age 55+;
- 71% are college graduates;
- 59% have a high-school education or less;
- 58% of those aged 15-24 have clicked on a banner ad.
Four in 10 people (39%) clicked on a banner ad because it either showed a product they were already interested in or the ad piqued their interest in a product they had not heard of before.
However, there were far more reasons given for not clicking on a banner ad including not wanting to be distracted from the task in hand (61%) or the fear of picking up a virus (55%).
Other reasons for Internet users avoiding banner ads include:
- 58% said banner ads were irrelevant;
- 57% were concerned about spam;
- 54% distrust most banner ads;
- 46% worry their screen will be overtaken with pop-up ads;
- 31% had to be 'in the mood' to click on an ad;
- Another 31% were wary of clicking on banner ads for fear they'd be tracked.
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...