News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
After almost 20 years of banner ads, who is clicking?
Internet users have been presented with banner ads for nearly 20 years, but who's clicking them and who's not. A new infographic from Prestige Marketing reveals some insights on who clicks ads and the reasons many don't click.
Banner ads first appeared on the screens of Internet users back in 1994. Since then they have evolved to be more interactive and eye-catching. But who is clicking on banner ads today?
An infographic produced by Killer Infographics for Prestige marketing reveals that those who click are:
- More likely to be age 55+;
- 71% are college graduates;
- 59% have a high-school education or less;
- 58% of those aged 15-24 have clicked on a banner ad.
Four in 10 people (39%) clicked on a banner ad because it either showed a product they were already interested in or the ad piqued their interest in a product they had not heard of before.
However, there were far more reasons given for not clicking on a banner ad including not wanting to be distracted from the task in hand (61%) or the fear of picking up a virus (55%).
Other reasons for Internet users avoiding banner ads include:
- 58% said banner ads were irrelevant;
- 57% were concerned about spam;
- 54% distrust most banner ads;
- 46% worry their screen will be overtaken with pop-up ads;
- 31% had to be 'in the mood' to click on an ad;
- Another 31% were wary of clicking on banner ads for fear they'd be tracked.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...