News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99% of top U.S. magazines contained mobile action codes in Q1 2012
The incorporation of mobile action codes in the top 100 US magazines during the first quarter of 2012 was almost universal, according to a new survey by marketing and technology firm Nellymoser, with QR codes being the most popular format.
A whopping 99% of the top magazines, by circulation, in the US contained at least one mobile action code of one type or another in the first quarter of this year. That's up from 78% in the same period last year and 96% in Q4 2011.
The only magazine that featured no mobile action codes was Taste of Home.
Formats included QR codes and other 2D barcodes, digital watermarks, and Near Field Communication (NFC). QR codes were, by far, the most-used format accounting for over 80% of the magazines' printed mobile action codes, up from 72% in Q4 2011. All other codes combined had less than 10% share.
Furthermore, Nellymoser reports that, in each month in the first quarter of 2012, over 8% of magazine advertising pages contained a mobile action code, up significantly from 3.55% in March, 2011. Most codes (85%) were placed at the bottom of a page, the traditional location for a call-to-action.
When scanned, over a third of codes (35%) took users to video content while 21% took users direct to a mobile commerce app/site, 20% to subscription/sweepstake and 18% to a social media sharing site.
"The fact that virtually every top 100 U.S. publication featured advertisements with mobile action codes in Q1 is evidence that they are an essential marketing tool for engaging readers and building brand loyalty," said Roger Matus, executive VP, Nellymoser. "Given the trajectory of growth we've seen to date, we anticipate an even faster rate of mobile action code adoption throughout 2012."
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes towards brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...