News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99% of top U.S. magazines contained mobile action codes in Q1 2012
The incorporation of mobile action codes in the top 100 US magazines during the first quarter of 2012 was almost universal, according to a new survey by marketing and technology firm Nellymoser, with QR codes being the most popular format.
A whopping 99% of the top magazines, by circulation, in the US contained at least one mobile action code of one type or another in the first quarter of this year. That's up from 78% in the same period last year and 96% in Q4 2011.
The only magazine that featured no mobile action codes was Taste of Home.
Formats included QR codes and other 2D barcodes, digital watermarks, and Near Field Communication (NFC). QR codes were, by far, the most-used format accounting for over 80% of the magazines' printed mobile action codes, up from 72% in Q4 2011. All other codes combined had less than 10% share.
Furthermore, Nellymoser reports that, in each month in the first quarter of 2012, over 8% of magazine advertising pages contained a mobile action code, up significantly from 3.55% in March, 2011. Most codes (85%) were placed at the bottom of a page, the traditional location for a call-to-action.
When scanned, over a third of codes (35%) took users to video content while 21% took users direct to a mobile commerce app/site, 20% to subscription/sweepstake and 18% to a social media sharing site.
"The fact that virtually every top 100 U.S. publication featured advertisements with mobile action codes in Q1 is evidence that they are an essential marketing tool for engaging readers and building brand loyalty," said Roger Matus, executive VP, Nellymoser. "Given the trajectory of growth we've seen to date, we anticipate an even faster rate of mobile action code adoption throughout 2012."
- Survey finds email pressure for retailers
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...