News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99% of top U.S. magazines contained mobile action codes in Q1 2012
The incorporation of mobile action codes in the top 100 US magazines during the first quarter of 2012 was almost universal, according to a new survey by marketing and technology firm Nellymoser, with QR codes being the most popular format.
A whopping 99% of the top magazines, by circulation, in the US contained at least one mobile action code of one type or another in the first quarter of this year. That's up from 78% in the same period last year and 96% in Q4 2011.
The only magazine that featured no mobile action codes was Taste of Home.
Formats included QR codes and other 2D barcodes, digital watermarks, and Near Field Communication (NFC). QR codes were, by far, the most-used format accounting for over 80% of the magazines' printed mobile action codes, up from 72% in Q4 2011. All other codes combined had less than 10% share.
Furthermore, Nellymoser reports that, in each month in the first quarter of 2012, over 8% of magazine advertising pages contained a mobile action code, up significantly from 3.55% in March, 2011. Most codes (85%) were placed at the bottom of a page, the traditional location for a call-to-action.
When scanned, over a third of codes (35%) took users to video content while 21% took users direct to a mobile commerce app/site, 20% to subscription/sweepstake and 18% to a social media sharing site.
"The fact that virtually every top 100 U.S. publication featured advertisements with mobile action codes in Q1 is evidence that they are an essential marketing tool for engaging readers and building brand loyalty," said Roger Matus, executive VP, Nellymoser. "Given the trajectory of growth we've seen to date, we anticipate an even faster rate of mobile action code adoption throughout 2012."
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...