News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 mistakes email marketers make
With a marketing format as experienced as email, many believe there are not pitfalls. But, marketers still make mistakes - especially in email - and those mistakes cost not only engagement but conversion dollars as well. What should you avoid?
Over the past year, we've seen a renewed interest in email marketing. Although email has never disappeared from the marketing realm, the advent of social media is pulling more brands back into the email space. According to ExactTarget email continues to out-perform social media to drive purchasing. Unfortunately, even those experience email marketers may have some difficulty in prospecting and engaging new consumers - because they're falling into classic pitfalls.
Act-On Software, a cloud-based marketing platform helping brands navigate the email waters with forms, landing pages, drip programs and social media assists, has identified three main areas where brands are lagging.
First, blasting a single message to all contacts. This should be a simple one - different individuals have different tastes, and most brands have more than one product. Know your customer. Know what they like and need and send them relevant messaging.
Second, segment those lists. Buyers in North America may not have the same needs or wants as those in South America or Europe. Likewise, B2B marketers should know that a major corporate CEO will have different needs than a small business owner. To repeat the first tip - know your audience members and send them messaging that will help them.
Third, adapt, adapt, adapt. In real estate, brokers cite location, location, location as a mantra. In online marketing, the citation is that brands need to adapt, adapt, adapt. This means adding social media and video tools, yes, but it also means that advertising should be tested. Test different message types, content and offers - and adapt the campaign based on those findings.
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...