News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Blogging in decline as social media takes over
New research by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth reveals that corporate blogging is in decline as corporates turn to social media to keep consumers up-to-date and engaged.
Back in 2010, half of companies had a corporate blog. In 2011 that figure declined significantly to just 37%. Among Fortune 500 companies, growth in blogging has leveled off with 23% continuing to blog in 2011, the same as in 2010, compared to 91% who use social media.
Why is blogging on the decline? It seems that social media such as Facebook and Twitter is easier to manage.
Rather than a long blog post once or twice a week, social channels can be maintained by quick and more regular injections of information such as photos, a one-liner or a poll question - just enough to say "we're still here".
Social use is overtaking not only blogging, but also message boards, video blogging, podcasting and MySpace.
"The fact that blogging had leveled off among the world's largest and most profitable companies raised questions about the use of this mature tool," states the accompanying press release.
"This study indicates that there is now support for the proposition that the use of blogging may have peaked as a primary social media tool in the US business world. The new data shows adoption of blogging is declining for the first time since 2007 among the Inc. 500 companies."
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...