News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Social sharing pushes product discovery
Forget search engines or manufacturer websites. Today's consumers are finding out about new products in a new, old fashioned way: they're asking friends. A new report out from Sociable Labs finds that social sharing - the act of sharing product information/purchases on social networks - is pushing product discovery for shoppers.
Social sharing is also driving retail traffic, finds the report. Some interesting findings include:
• 62% of online shoppers have read 'purchase related comments' on Facebook
• 75% have clicked product links on social network posts
• 53% of those who have 'clicked' have finalized a purchase
"We found that consumers discover what products to buy through social sharing, and then act on that information 75% of the time. Retailers have the ability to trigger this kind of sharing from their ecommerce sites, driving both significant referral visits and conversion uplift if they fully leverage it," said Darby Williams, VP of Marketing at Sociable Labs. "Now with high-velocity 'Frictionless Sharing', social sharing can become one of the top drivers of both for almost any online retailer."
Perhaps of even more importance, nearly half (48%) of those surveyed said social sharing is 'extremely' or 'very' helpful to their shopping experience.
Meanwhile, the practice of including socially shared content directly to a retailer website is becoming more popular with shoppers. One-third (33%) of those surveyed report they are 'more likely to shop' on sites that include social sharing content; that increases to more than 60% if the content shared is from a friend of that shopper.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...