News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Each 2011 data breach exposes 1 million to ID theft
Spam may have reached its lowest level in three years in December 2011, but that doesn't mean personal information is now safe online. Quite the contrary, according to Symantec's new Internet Security Threat Report because more than 230 million identities were exposed throughout 2011.
According to Symantec spam levels in 2010 reached 62 billion but in 2011 fell to 42 billion (messages per day), thanks to botnet take-downs; one in 299 emails are estimated to be a phishing attempt. They also found that roughly half of small to medium sized businesses were targeted for attack, as were about half of big businesses.
Some highlights from the report include:
• March 2011 419 scams related to the Japanese earthquake hit the web including fake donation sites and malicious attachments
• May 2011 spammers began setting up their own URL shortening websites
• September 2011 spammers exploited the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the US
• December 2011 spam falls to the lowest level in three years
• 5.5 billion attacks blocked in 2011
It isn't just laptop or desktop attacks that consumers need to be aware of, though, because cyber attacks are now also targeting mobile phones. Targeted attacks, meanwhile, skyrocketed in 2011.
"Targeted attacks use customized malware and refined targeted social engineering to gain unauthorized access to sensitive information," was written in the report. "This is the next evolution of social engineering, where victims are researched in advance and specifically targeted. Typically, criminals use targeted attacks to steal valuable information such as customer data for financial gain. Advanced persistent threats use targeted attacks as part of a longer-term campaign of espionage, typically targeting high-value information or systems in government and industry."
For 2011, targeted attacks focused on government/public sector (25%), manufacturing (15%) and finance (14%).
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...