News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One in five Americans aren't online
Everyone in the U.S. is online, aren't they? Not according to a new study from the Pew Internet & American Life Project that shows one in five Americans do not use the Internet.
Shock! Horror! Some people are resisting the urge to log on, according to Pew's latest research.
Who are they?
"Senior citizens, those who prefer to take our interviews in Spanish rather than English, adults with less than a high school education, and those living in households earning less than $30,000 per year are the least likely adults to have Internet access," Pew said.
Among those that don't use the Internet about half said their reason for avoiding the technology is because it's not useful or relevant to the, while many are just plain disinterested.
Other reasons cited by Internet virgins were cost, no access to a computer, difficulties with Internet connections, safety concerns and lack of time to learn new skills.
Of those that don't currently surf the Internet, just 10% are interested in learning the skills needed to do so.
Pew's survey also reveals that connecting to the Internet is no longer necessarily linked to desktop computer ownership. Almost 90% of Americans now own a mobile phone and over half (57%) have a laptop and around two-thirds use these devices to connect to the Internet via wireless.
"Groups that have traditionally been on the other side of the digital divide in basic Internet access are using wireless connections to go online," says Pew. "Among smartphone owners, young adults, minorities, those with no college experience, and those with lower household income levels are more likely than other groups to say that their phone is their main source of Internet access."
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...