News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One in five Americans aren't online
Everyone in the U.S. is online, aren't they? Not according to a new study from the Pew Internet & American Life Project that shows one in five Americans do not use the Internet.
Shock! Horror! Some people are resisting the urge to log on, according to Pew's latest research.
Who are they?
"Senior citizens, those who prefer to take our interviews in Spanish rather than English, adults with less than a high school education, and those living in households earning less than $30,000 per year are the least likely adults to have Internet access," Pew said.
Among those that don't use the Internet about half said their reason for avoiding the technology is because it's not useful or relevant to the, while many are just plain disinterested.
Other reasons cited by Internet virgins were cost, no access to a computer, difficulties with Internet connections, safety concerns and lack of time to learn new skills.
Of those that don't currently surf the Internet, just 10% are interested in learning the skills needed to do so.
Pew's survey also reveals that connecting to the Internet is no longer necessarily linked to desktop computer ownership. Almost 90% of Americans now own a mobile phone and over half (57%) have a laptop and around two-thirds use these devices to connect to the Internet via wireless.
"Groups that have traditionally been on the other side of the digital divide in basic Internet access are using wireless connections to go online," says Pew. "Among smartphone owners, young adults, minorities, those with no college experience, and those with lower household income levels are more likely than other groups to say that their phone is their main source of Internet access."
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...