News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One in five Americans aren't online
Everyone in the U.S. is online, aren't they? Not according to a new study from the Pew Internet & American Life Project that shows one in five Americans do not use the Internet.
Shock! Horror! Some people are resisting the urge to log on, according to Pew's latest research.
Who are they?
"Senior citizens, those who prefer to take our interviews in Spanish rather than English, adults with less than a high school education, and those living in households earning less than $30,000 per year are the least likely adults to have Internet access," Pew said.
Among those that don't use the Internet about half said their reason for avoiding the technology is because it's not useful or relevant to the, while many are just plain disinterested.
Other reasons cited by Internet virgins were cost, no access to a computer, difficulties with Internet connections, safety concerns and lack of time to learn new skills.
Of those that don't currently surf the Internet, just 10% are interested in learning the skills needed to do so.
Pew's survey also reveals that connecting to the Internet is no longer necessarily linked to desktop computer ownership. Almost 90% of Americans now own a mobile phone and over half (57%) have a laptop and around two-thirds use these devices to connect to the Internet via wireless.
"Groups that have traditionally been on the other side of the digital divide in basic Internet access are using wireless connections to go online," says Pew. "Among smartphone owners, young adults, minorities, those with no college experience, and those with lower household income levels are more likely than other groups to say that their phone is their main source of Internet access."
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...