News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One in five Americans aren't online
Everyone in the U.S. is online, aren't they? Not according to a new study from the Pew Internet & American Life Project that shows one in five Americans do not use the Internet.
Shock! Horror! Some people are resisting the urge to log on, according to Pew's latest research.
Who are they?
"Senior citizens, those who prefer to take our interviews in Spanish rather than English, adults with less than a high school education, and those living in households earning less than $30,000 per year are the least likely adults to have Internet access," Pew said.
Among those that don't use the Internet about half said their reason for avoiding the technology is because it's not useful or relevant to the, while many are just plain disinterested.
Other reasons cited by Internet virgins were cost, no access to a computer, difficulties with Internet connections, safety concerns and lack of time to learn new skills.
Of those that don't currently surf the Internet, just 10% are interested in learning the skills needed to do so.
Pew's survey also reveals that connecting to the Internet is no longer necessarily linked to desktop computer ownership. Almost 90% of Americans now own a mobile phone and over half (57%) have a laptop and around two-thirds use these devices to connect to the Internet via wireless.
"Groups that have traditionally been on the other side of the digital divide in basic Internet access are using wireless connections to go online," says Pew. "Among smartphone owners, young adults, minorities, those with no college experience, and those with lower household income levels are more likely than other groups to say that their phone is their main source of Internet access."
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...