News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile Life: 1 in 8 share location via mobile for deals, discounts
Location-based services are tipped as being the biggest growing mobile feature among the world's billions of mobile users, according to a new study from research consultancy TNS, with many using the technology to secure deals and discounts.
In their annual "Mobile Life" study, TNS analyzed the mobile use of 48,000 people across 58 countries. Results reveal that almost a fifth (19%) of the world's six billion mobile users already use location-based services.
Of those mobile users who don't, almost two-thirds (62%) plan to do so in the future, making it the biggest growing mobile feature, found TNS.
So, what is it that makes mobile users want to be "found"? According to TNS's head of digital and technology practice, James Fergusson, mobile users are beginning to realize there are real benefits to sharing their location including rewards such as deals and discounts. One in eight users of location-based services shared their location with a company or brand in exchange for rewards.
Navigation using GPS and maps is currently the most popular reason (46%) for adopting location-based services, found TNS, while 13% are attracted to checking-in through the likes of Facebook or Foursquare - a 50% uplift on 2011.
Just over a quarter (26%) use location-based services to seek out entertainment venues and restaurants while 19% check public transport schedules.
"It is the combination of time and context - directing people towards a deal when they can easily redeem it - that unlocks a powerful tool for marketers to develop precise targeting approaches," said Fergusson.
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...