News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile Life: 1 in 8 share location via mobile for deals, discounts
Location-based services are tipped as being the biggest growing mobile feature among the world's billions of mobile users, according to a new study from research consultancy TNS, with many using the technology to secure deals and discounts.
In their annual "Mobile Life" study, TNS analyzed the mobile use of 48,000 people across 58 countries. Results reveal that almost a fifth (19%) of the world's six billion mobile users already use location-based services.
Of those mobile users who don't, almost two-thirds (62%) plan to do so in the future, making it the biggest growing mobile feature, found TNS.
So, what is it that makes mobile users want to be "found"? According to TNS's head of digital and technology practice, James Fergusson, mobile users are beginning to realize there are real benefits to sharing their location including rewards such as deals and discounts. One in eight users of location-based services shared their location with a company or brand in exchange for rewards.
Navigation using GPS and maps is currently the most popular reason (46%) for adopting location-based services, found TNS, while 13% are attracted to checking-in through the likes of Facebook or Foursquare - a 50% uplift on 2011.
Just over a quarter (26%) use location-based services to seek out entertainment venues and restaurants while 19% check public transport schedules.
"It is the combination of time and context - directing people towards a deal when they can easily redeem it - that unlocks a powerful tool for marketers to develop precise targeting approaches," said Fergusson.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...