News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennial Media: Mobile made big impact on March Madness
Just a couple of years ago video streaming changed the way sports fans viewed the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament - March Madness. Now, it's mobile that is changing the way we see March Madness, according to the latest Millennial Media S.M.A.R.T. Report.
Millennial Media found:
• 69% of those watching the Tournament used a mobile device while watching
• 69% of those following March Madness said mobile made it simpler to follow games
• 26% of 'passionate' fans primarily used smartphones to follow their teams
Sports apps were one of the big winners during the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, according to the research, with a spike in app usage (158% increase week to week) about 5pm on the opening day of play. Overall sports app usage increased about 31% week to week. Social media apps also saw a spike (41%) in usage during the first day of the tournament from 7pm - 11pm.
Apps weren't the only winners, mobile overall saw a high rate of engagement with 88% of 'passionate' fans reporting they used a mobile device for some tournament activity; 78% said they used mobiles specifically to access tournament content.
Other activities included:
• 48% checked scores
• 25% read news about teams or players
• 23% checked a March Madness bracket
• 20% watched game highlights
The actions of consumers during March Madness only underscores the importance mobile has for a growing number of consumers. More than 100 million Americans now own smartphones, according to comScore (February 2012). Meanwhile BIA/Kelsey is reporting mobile local search will push past desktop local search by 2015. About 27 billion more queries, they forecast, will be sent via mobile rather than desktop.
Mobile local search revenues are expected to grow more than 160% to reach $3.2 billion in 2016. The full forecast will be the focus on a one-day conference at MLM (Mobile Local Media) San Francisco on June 27.
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Use Social Data To Improve Your Social Marketing Maturity
We all have social data - and lots of it. But are you using it effectively? A brand's social data...