News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennial Media: Mobile made big impact on March Madness
Just a couple of years ago video streaming changed the way sports fans viewed the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament - March Madness. Now, it's mobile that is changing the way we see March Madness, according to the latest Millennial Media S.M.A.R.T. Report.
Millennial Media found:
• 69% of those watching the Tournament used a mobile device while watching
• 69% of those following March Madness said mobile made it simpler to follow games
• 26% of 'passionate' fans primarily used smartphones to follow their teams
Sports apps were one of the big winners during the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, according to the research, with a spike in app usage (158% increase week to week) about 5pm on the opening day of play. Overall sports app usage increased about 31% week to week. Social media apps also saw a spike (41%) in usage during the first day of the tournament from 7pm - 11pm.
Apps weren't the only winners, mobile overall saw a high rate of engagement with 88% of 'passionate' fans reporting they used a mobile device for some tournament activity; 78% said they used mobiles specifically to access tournament content.
Other activities included:
• 48% checked scores
• 25% read news about teams or players
• 23% checked a March Madness bracket
• 20% watched game highlights
The actions of consumers during March Madness only underscores the importance mobile has for a growing number of consumers. More than 100 million Americans now own smartphones, according to comScore (February 2012). Meanwhile BIA/Kelsey is reporting mobile local search will push past desktop local search by 2015. About 27 billion more queries, they forecast, will be sent via mobile rather than desktop.
Mobile local search revenues are expected to grow more than 160% to reach $3.2 billion in 2016. The full forecast will be the focus on a one-day conference at MLM (Mobile Local Media) San Francisco on June 27.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....