News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB: 2011's record-breaking Internet ad revenues, mobile makes its mark
The Interactive Advertising Bureau has released Internet ad revenue figures for 2011 that show it was a record-breaking year in which mobile made its mark.
In 2010, Internet ad revenues broke all records totaling $26 billion. New figures released by the IAB for last year show that the record has been broken again. Revenues for the full year soared to a new high of $31 billion.
Furthermore, the fourth quarter of 2011 broke all records with a total $9 billion, a 15% increase over the previous quarter and a YoY growth of 20% from 2010's $7.4 billion.
"Pushing past the $30 billion barrier, the interactive advertising industry confirms its central place in media," said Randall Rothenberg, President and CEO, IAB. "Across search, display, digital video, digital provides a wealth of opportunity for brands and consumers. With the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, it is likely that the tremendous growth in mobile will continue as these screens become even more crucial to the marketing mix."
The 2011 report is the first in which mobile is listed as a standalone category, and for good reason. Growth in mobile advertising was fastest of all IAB's categories, up 149% to $1.6 billion in 2011. It now accounts for 5% of all Internet ad revenue, more than email (1%), sponsorship (4%) and rich media (4%). Search, at 46.5%, is the largest category.
"The year 2011 saw mobile advertising become a meaningful category," said David Silverman, Partner, PwC U.S. "By combining some of the best features of the Internet, along with portability and location-based technology, mobile advertising is enabling marketers to deliver timely, targeted, relevant, and local advertisements in a manner that was not previously possible. It is for these reasons that we expect strong growth to continue with mobile advertising."
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...