News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia are Androids
Android now accounts for half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia, according to GfK. While not as big as other Asian regions, Southeast Asia accounts for a tenth of the world's population.
Together, all seven of the countries tracked by GfK in Southeast Asia - Singapore, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam - snapped up almost 7.7 million units worth around $24 billion. Spikes in demand ranged between 40% and 400% year-on-year.
The largest smartphone market in the region is Indonesia with a penetration rate of 62% among the 240 million people in the country. Sales exceeded $1.4 billion in Indonesia in Q1 2012.
"Meanwhile, the markets with deepest smartphone penetration are Malaysia and Singapore where levels have already reached a high of 88 percent, translating to almost nine out of every ten in the general population being a smartphone user," said Gerard Tan, Account Director for Digital Technology at GfK Asia.
In areas where smartphone penetration is way off saturation levels the current levels of sales will continue for the next few years, says GfK, boosted by the affordability of Android models.
"With much of the populace still not owning a mobile phone, there is no better place for global mobile phone brands to focus their sales and marketing efforts," said Tan.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...