News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia are Androids
Android now accounts for half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia, according to GfK. While not as big as other Asian regions, Southeast Asia accounts for a tenth of the world's population.
Together, all seven of the countries tracked by GfK in Southeast Asia - Singapore, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam - snapped up almost 7.7 million units worth around $24 billion. Spikes in demand ranged between 40% and 400% year-on-year.
The largest smartphone market in the region is Indonesia with a penetration rate of 62% among the 240 million people in the country. Sales exceeded $1.4 billion in Indonesia in Q1 2012.
"Meanwhile, the markets with deepest smartphone penetration are Malaysia and Singapore where levels have already reached a high of 88 percent, translating to almost nine out of every ten in the general population being a smartphone user," said Gerard Tan, Account Director for Digital Technology at GfK Asia.
In areas where smartphone penetration is way off saturation levels the current levels of sales will continue for the next few years, says GfK, boosted by the affordability of Android models.
"With much of the populace still not owning a mobile phone, there is no better place for global mobile phone brands to focus their sales and marketing efforts," said Tan.
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
- AdRoll: Study finds retargeting focus for most brands
- Study: Power of Hispanic shoppers growing
- Report: News, media sites opening slow in mobile
- Marin: Brands looking to integrate marketing efforts
- Nielsen sheds light on the Millennial male
- Ad RoundUp: Analysis key to releases
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...