News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia are Androids
Android now accounts for half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia, according to GfK. While not as big as other Asian regions, Southeast Asia accounts for a tenth of the world's population.
Together, all seven of the countries tracked by GfK in Southeast Asia - Singapore, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam - snapped up almost 7.7 million units worth around $24 billion. Spikes in demand ranged between 40% and 400% year-on-year.
The largest smartphone market in the region is Indonesia with a penetration rate of 62% among the 240 million people in the country. Sales exceeded $1.4 billion in Indonesia in Q1 2012.
"Meanwhile, the markets with deepest smartphone penetration are Malaysia and Singapore where levels have already reached a high of 88 percent, translating to almost nine out of every ten in the general population being a smartphone user," said Gerard Tan, Account Director for Digital Technology at GfK Asia.
In areas where smartphone penetration is way off saturation levels the current levels of sales will continue for the next few years, says GfK, boosted by the affordability of Android models.
"With much of the populace still not owning a mobile phone, there is no better place for global mobile phone brands to focus their sales and marketing efforts," said Tan.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...