News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia are Androids
Android now accounts for half of all smartphones sold in Southeast Asia, according to GfK. While not as big as other Asian regions, Southeast Asia accounts for a tenth of the world's population.
Together, all seven of the countries tracked by GfK in Southeast Asia - Singapore, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam - snapped up almost 7.7 million units worth around $24 billion. Spikes in demand ranged between 40% and 400% year-on-year.
The largest smartphone market in the region is Indonesia with a penetration rate of 62% among the 240 million people in the country. Sales exceeded $1.4 billion in Indonesia in Q1 2012.
"Meanwhile, the markets with deepest smartphone penetration are Malaysia and Singapore where levels have already reached a high of 88 percent, translating to almost nine out of every ten in the general population being a smartphone user," said Gerard Tan, Account Director for Digital Technology at GfK Asia.
In areas where smartphone penetration is way off saturation levels the current levels of sales will continue for the next few years, says GfK, boosted by the affordability of Android models.
"With much of the populace still not owning a mobile phone, there is no better place for global mobile phone brands to focus their sales and marketing efforts," said Tan.
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...