News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Few businesses confident data they store is protected
Today, a significant amount of data is being stored by businesses, some of which is extremely sensitive or confidential and requires protection. But are today's businesses confident that the data stored within their organization is secure?
When Varonis, a provider of comprehensive data governance software, surveyed 200 I.T. professionals about their data protection practices and confidence levels, the results were disappointing and potentially showed breaches of expected data protection processes.
While over 80% said they store customer, vendor or business partner data, just 26% were "very confident" that data was protected. Nearly a fifth was "not confident at all" that the data they store is protected and a worrying 5% were "unsure".
"It's worrying that so many companies are still complacent when it comes to data protection. It means that these organizations would have some serious questions to answer should they suffer a breach," said David Gibson, director of strategy for Varonis. "In fact, regulators such as the SEC, ICO and EU would likely deem that they had failed in their obligation to provide appropriate security protection to prevent sensitive data breaches and impose a hefty financial penalty."
Of those respondents who stated they were not confident that the data within their organizations is protected 10% do not know where their data is stored, 3% do not have owners assigned for all the data and none monitor all data access.
"It's really not rocket science - if you've got sensitive data and you're not very confident that it's adequately protected, you need to take action," says Gibson.
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...