News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to out-do social to drive purchases
Email continues to be the most common way consumers receive digital messages from brands but, with the onslaught of social media, is it still the most effective? ExactTarget's recent research reveals some interesting behavior.
A survey of 1,404 consumers in the UK by ExactTarget reveals that, while email continues to be the most-used media for communicating with consumers, social media messaging is perceived by consumers to be more likely to prompt them to make a purchase.
Of the survey respondents nearly all (93%) had signed up for email messages from a company while 45% had "Liked" a brand on Facebook. Just 7% "Follow" a brand on Twitter.
However, when it comes to making a purchase, email isn't perceived by consumers to be as effective as social media. Almost a third (32%) of respondents said they were more likely to make a purchase having seen a Tweet from a company. A quarter (24%) said they were more likely to make a purchase after becoming a "Fan" of a brand on Facebook. As for email, slightly less (21%) said that subscribing to an email list made them more likely to buy.
But what actually happens is rather different, found ExactTarget's research. Nearly half (46%) had made a purchase as a result of receiving an email while purchases prompted by social media were much lower - Facebook 1% and Twitter 4%.
According to the report "The Social Profile UK", "consumers often see email as a convenient reminder to go back to their favorite stores or sites. So, while they may not think of email as something that makes them more likely to buy from your brand, they may forget to go back to your site without an email that reminds them to do so."
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...