News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to out-do social to drive purchases
Email continues to be the most common way consumers receive digital messages from brands but, with the onslaught of social media, is it still the most effective? ExactTarget's recent research reveals some interesting behavior.
A survey of 1,404 consumers in the UK by ExactTarget reveals that, while email continues to be the most-used media for communicating with consumers, social media messaging is perceived by consumers to be more likely to prompt them to make a purchase.
Of the survey respondents nearly all (93%) had signed up for email messages from a company while 45% had "Liked" a brand on Facebook. Just 7% "Follow" a brand on Twitter.
However, when it comes to making a purchase, email isn't perceived by consumers to be as effective as social media. Almost a third (32%) of respondents said they were more likely to make a purchase having seen a Tweet from a company. A quarter (24%) said they were more likely to make a purchase after becoming a "Fan" of a brand on Facebook. As for email, slightly less (21%) said that subscribing to an email list made them more likely to buy.
But what actually happens is rather different, found ExactTarget's research. Nearly half (46%) had made a purchase as a result of receiving an email while purchases prompted by social media were much lower - Facebook 1% and Twitter 4%.
According to the report "The Social Profile UK", "consumers often see email as a convenient reminder to go back to their favorite stores or sites. So, while they may not think of email as something that makes them more likely to buy from your brand, they may forget to go back to your site without an email that reminds them to do so."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...