News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumer Reports survey reveals 71% very concerned about data sharing
Consumers are more connected than ever before and sharing more, too, but many remain concerned that the information they share with online companies is being sold or shared with other parties without their permission.
Almost three-quarters (71%) of Americans surveyed by Consumer Reports expressed concern about their online privacy, in particular companies that sell or share their personal information without their permission.
"This survey confirms that most Americans are very concerned about their online privacy," said Ioana Rusu, Regulatory Counsel for Consumers Union. "A lot of people are seriously worried about how their personal information is being exploited."
Furthermore, over half (51%) of the 1,017 respondents expressed concern that their data was being held on to by companies even when it was no longer of any use to them.
Earlier this year, TRUSTe's inaugural Consumer Confidence Edition, a new quarterly index from the privacy management firm, revealed the vast majority of US online users have real concerns about their online privacy.
A whopping 90% of consumers were found to worry about their online privacy be it often, frequently or sometimes. Just 10% never worry about it. Forty one percent disagreed with the statement "I trust most companies with my personal information online" and 12% strongly disagreed.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...