News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
CIFAS reveals rise in fraudulent use of bank accounts by owner
The UK's fraud prevention service, CIFAS, has revealed that fraud increased 13% in the first quarter of 2012. However, it's not just criminal activity, says CIFAS, but desperation on the part of some struggling account holders.
Instances of fraud in the UK during the first quarter of this year rose 30% year on year, found CIFAS, and 13% from the previous quarter. Identity fraud was up 40% and account takeovers 86%.
However, a worrying trend of deception and fraud by genuine account holders has been revealed. Law-abiding citizens, dogged by financial woes, are contributing to this rise in fraud.
CIFAS found that the misuse of accounts by the account owner grew 13%, making it the second most-common kind of fraud. Account holders may be using their accounts to receive stolen funds or falsely claim not to have received purchased goods, credit cards or money. In some cases criminal organizations target desperate bank account holders and coerce them in to being "money mules".
According to CIFAS, "these frauds are as likely to be the result of financial pressures on otherwise honest people as they are to be attributable to those who unwittingly or knowingly allow their accounts to be used for criminal purposes, to receive and send illegal payments."
The CIFAS report, "Fraudscape", can be viewed online. (.pdf)
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...