News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
CIFAS reveals rise in fraudulent use of bank accounts by owner
The UK's fraud prevention service, CIFAS, has revealed that fraud increased 13% in the first quarter of 2012. However, it's not just criminal activity, says CIFAS, but desperation on the part of some struggling account holders.
Instances of fraud in the UK during the first quarter of this year rose 30% year on year, found CIFAS, and 13% from the previous quarter. Identity fraud was up 40% and account takeovers 86%.
However, a worrying trend of deception and fraud by genuine account holders has been revealed. Law-abiding citizens, dogged by financial woes, are contributing to this rise in fraud.
CIFAS found that the misuse of accounts by the account owner grew 13%, making it the second most-common kind of fraud. Account holders may be using their accounts to receive stolen funds or falsely claim not to have received purchased goods, credit cards or money. In some cases criminal organizations target desperate bank account holders and coerce them in to being "money mules".
According to CIFAS, "these frauds are as likely to be the result of financial pressures on otherwise honest people as they are to be attributable to those who unwittingly or knowingly allow their accounts to be used for criminal purposes, to receive and send illegal payments."
The CIFAS report, "Fraudscape", can be viewed online. (.pdf)
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...