News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android's share of U.S. smartphone market passes 50%
Android's share of the U.S. smartphone market has hit a major milestone. According to data released this week by comScore, Android now has over 50%.
Data from comScore's MobiLens service shows that Google's mobile platform has gained an additional 17% market share in the U.S. in the three months to February, 2012. Android has now crossed the 50% barrier with 50.1% of the market.
The remaining 49.9% is divvied up between Apple (30.2%), RIM (13.4%), Microsoft (3.9%) and Symbian (1.5%).
During the three-month period ending in February, a total of 234 million Americans age 13 and over used mobile devices, 104 million of which owned smartphones, up 14% in the three months to February, 2012.
Recent research from Nielsen found that, as of February this year, just under 50% of Americans own a smartphone. Jonathan Carson, CEO of Digital at Nielsen, says that smartphones are starting to become a "must-have purchase for Americans at all income levels".
Furthermore, in just the last three months, smartphones have dominated new phone purchases. Two-thirds of people who bought a mobile phone chose a smartphone. Of those that acquired their smartphone within the last three months, 48% said they chose an Android and 43% bought an iPhone.
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...