News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android's share of U.S. smartphone market passes 50%
Android's share of the U.S. smartphone market has hit a major milestone. According to data released this week by comScore, Android now has over 50%.
Data from comScore's MobiLens service shows that Google's mobile platform has gained an additional 17% market share in the U.S. in the three months to February, 2012. Android has now crossed the 50% barrier with 50.1% of the market.
The remaining 49.9% is divvied up between Apple (30.2%), RIM (13.4%), Microsoft (3.9%) and Symbian (1.5%).
During the three-month period ending in February, a total of 234 million Americans age 13 and over used mobile devices, 104 million of which owned smartphones, up 14% in the three months to February, 2012.
Recent research from Nielsen found that, as of February this year, just under 50% of Americans own a smartphone. Jonathan Carson, CEO of Digital at Nielsen, says that smartphones are starting to become a "must-have purchase for Americans at all income levels".
Furthermore, in just the last three months, smartphones have dominated new phone purchases. Two-thirds of people who bought a mobile phone chose a smartphone. Of those that acquired their smartphone within the last three months, 48% said they chose an Android and 43% bought an iPhone.
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...