News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android's share of U.S. smartphone market passes 50%
Android's share of the U.S. smartphone market has hit a major milestone. According to data released this week by comScore, Android now has over 50%.
Data from comScore's MobiLens service shows that Google's mobile platform has gained an additional 17% market share in the U.S. in the three months to February, 2012. Android has now crossed the 50% barrier with 50.1% of the market.
The remaining 49.9% is divvied up between Apple (30.2%), RIM (13.4%), Microsoft (3.9%) and Symbian (1.5%).
During the three-month period ending in February, a total of 234 million Americans age 13 and over used mobile devices, 104 million of which owned smartphones, up 14% in the three months to February, 2012.
Recent research from Nielsen found that, as of February this year, just under 50% of Americans own a smartphone. Jonathan Carson, CEO of Digital at Nielsen, says that smartphones are starting to become a "must-have purchase for Americans at all income levels".
Furthermore, in just the last three months, smartphones have dominated new phone purchases. Two-thirds of people who bought a mobile phone chose a smartphone. Of those that acquired their smartphone within the last three months, 48% said they chose an Android and 43% bought an iPhone.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...