News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android's share of U.S. smartphone market passes 50%
Android's share of the U.S. smartphone market has hit a major milestone. According to data released this week by comScore, Android now has over 50%.
Data from comScore's MobiLens service shows that Google's mobile platform has gained an additional 17% market share in the U.S. in the three months to February, 2012. Android has now crossed the 50% barrier with 50.1% of the market.
The remaining 49.9% is divvied up between Apple (30.2%), RIM (13.4%), Microsoft (3.9%) and Symbian (1.5%).
During the three-month period ending in February, a total of 234 million Americans age 13 and over used mobile devices, 104 million of which owned smartphones, up 14% in the three months to February, 2012.
Recent research from Nielsen found that, as of February this year, just under 50% of Americans own a smartphone. Jonathan Carson, CEO of Digital at Nielsen, says that smartphones are starting to become a "must-have purchase for Americans at all income levels".
Furthermore, in just the last three months, smartphones have dominated new phone purchases. Two-thirds of people who bought a mobile phone chose a smartphone. Of those that acquired their smartphone within the last three months, 48% said they chose an Android and 43% bought an iPhone.
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....