News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
27% of marketing emails opened on mobile devices
Mobile technology is enabling consumers to perform tasks often associated with a PC or laptop while on the go. One of those activities is checking email. Mobile marketing firm Knotice has recently revealed that the number of marketing emails being opened on a mobile device has risen sharply.
When mobile marketing firm Knotice studied 974 million marketing emails in the U.S. they found that the number of emails opened on mobile devices rose sharply in the second half of 2011 from 20% in the first half to 27%.
iOS devices make up the majority of mobile email activity. Knotice reveals that the iPhone and iPad together account for more than 22% of mobile email opens, compared to less than 5% for Android devices.
However, while mobile email opens are on the rise, click activity is not following as fast and the share lags behind that of desktop PCs. This is mainly down to a lack of mobile email optimization making it difficult, if not impossible, for recipients to interact with an email on their mobile device.
"Email may be one of the largest sources, if not the largest, of mobile impressions and leads that any organization sees," says Knotice in their report (.pdf). "The traditionally disparate roles of email and mobile marketing within the organization need to come together, understanding that email is very much a mobile marketing channel."
Earlier this year research by RedEye and Econsultancy found that a whopping 84% of companies in the UK fail to design emails for viewing on a mobile device and over a quarter don't bother to test campaigns across various mobile devices, if at all.
"Accepting that consumers often use multiple devices to access email and Internet, if the content is not optimized for the media it directly impacts conversion," said Mark Patron, CEO at RedEye.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...