News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
10 habits of global online shoppers
A new study from WorldPay identifies the online shopping habits of consumers across 15 countries and reveals how and where they shop plus the increasing role of mobile in their shopping activities.
The "Global Online Shopper Report" from WorldPay reveals the rise of e-commerce across 15 countries including the UK, US, China, Spain, Finland, France, Japan, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, Canada, Argentina and India. It shows how ecommerce is growing at a rapid pace and the growing percentage of income being spent online.
In particular the report illustrates the increasing role of mobile and how this channel is changing the face of ecommerce through the use of apps, mobile websites and increased consumer mobility.
Here are 10 highlights from the report that can be downloaded in full here:
1. On average, 22% of annual outgoings on goods and services is spent online (U.S. 23%).
2. 74% of online spending takes place between midday and midnight. In the U.S. the peak time for purchases is 10am, while globally it is much later - 8.40jpm.
3. 95% of online purchases take place in the home - of which 54% are made in the living room, 43% in the bedroom and 3% in the bathroom.
4. 46% of global online shoppers watch television while shopping, 42% listen to music and 29% chat online.
5. Global online shoppers shop for an average of 5 hours each month.
6. Mobile use is on the rise - 55% use a laptop to shop, 19% smartphone and 11% tablet.
7. 29% of global online shoppers make purchases at work, 6% at college or university and the same again in a car or a physical store.
8. 44% of global online shoppers buy from overseas retailers with Australia having the highest proportion (76%).
9. The majority of global online shoppers used credit cards to make purchases (69%) while others used PayPal (40%), debit card (37%) or bank transfer (19%).
10. Globally, the factors that make consumers spend more with an online retailer are better payment security (53%), better protection of personal details (49%) and accurate delivery dates (43%).
"E-commerce is growing at a rapid pace, with consumers in nearly all countries spending a growing percentage of their income online. The consumer appetite for buying cross-border is strong, particularly in the high-growth developing online economies," says Philip McGriskin, chief product officer, WorldPay.
"This provides merchants with an excellent opportunity to increase sales by targeting overseas customers. As technologies and economies develop, merchants will need to be ahead of the game to understand consumer needs, and offer the right services to take advantage of new e-commerce opportunities."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...