News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter feature allows age-restriction screening
Some brands that cater to exclusively adults need to make sure their audience is of the right age no matter where they are targeting them. A new Twitter feature for such brands has been launched to ensure Tweets are only getting through to an age-appropriate audience.
Alcohol brands, breweries and mature content all need barriers put in place to ensure innocent eyes aren't watching. Many age-restricted websites already have processes in place to ascertain the age of their users.
A new feature has been launched by Atlanta-based social marketing firm Vitrue. Called "Twitter Gate", it will control who has access to age-restricted promotional messages by inserting an extra process in the Twitter Follow request.
This extra step in the Follow process asks the user for their country and date of birth, in much the same way age-restricted brands have been doing on their websites for a long time.
However, the process relies entirely on the user entering their correct date of birth, there are no checks done to verify this.
Vitrue's director of product management, John Nolt, told Mashable, "Brands have a responsibility to make sure they take appropriate measures to ensure the right age group and demographic is looking at their content. This will allow brands to demonstrate their commitment to that effort."
Vitrue has set up a Twitter account for a fake brewery called BrookstrutAle (@BrookstrutAle) via which the Twitter Gate process is demonstrated.
- Younger B2B buyers' online purchase behavior ignored by suppliers
- Portrait of an affluent consumer
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
Featured White Papers
- Transforming Brands into Media Outlets
Storytelling has been around forever, but businesses today need to capitalize on a variety of new tools to tell their...
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...