News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter feature allows age-restriction screening
Some brands that cater to exclusively adults need to make sure their audience is of the right age no matter where they are targeting them. A new Twitter feature for such brands has been launched to ensure Tweets are only getting through to an age-appropriate audience.
Alcohol brands, breweries and mature content all need barriers put in place to ensure innocent eyes aren't watching. Many age-restricted websites already have processes in place to ascertain the age of their users.
A new feature has been launched by Atlanta-based social marketing firm Vitrue. Called "Twitter Gate", it will control who has access to age-restricted promotional messages by inserting an extra process in the Twitter Follow request.
This extra step in the Follow process asks the user for their country and date of birth, in much the same way age-restricted brands have been doing on their websites for a long time.
However, the process relies entirely on the user entering their correct date of birth, there are no checks done to verify this.
Vitrue's director of product management, John Nolt, told Mashable, "Brands have a responsibility to make sure they take appropriate measures to ensure the right age group and demographic is looking at their content. This will allow brands to demonstrate their commitment to that effort."
Vitrue has set up a Twitter account for a fake brewery called BrookstrutAle (@BrookstrutAle) via which the Twitter Gate process is demonstrated.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...