News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals less deception in LinkedIn resumes
Businesses looking to recruit new staff can have more faith in the legitimacy of resumes presented on LinkedIn accounts than traditional offline or private formats, according to a new study from Cornell University.
The survey of 119 college students found that the vast majority (92%) lied at least once when asked to create a resume. Not all were outright lies, some deception was in the form of leaving things out or tweaking dates.
However, it transpires that young people are less likely to lie about "major things", such as qualifications or job positions, in their online resumes. This makes sense as it's far easier to get caught out when your details are on a public forum.
College-age LinkedIn users were, however, found to be more likely to embellish or lie on their resumes in ways that were harder to verify, such as hobbies and interests.
"The Effect of LinkedIn on Deception in Resumes" by Jamie Guillory and Jeffrey T. Hancock has been published in the March 2012 issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....