News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals less deception in LinkedIn resumes
Businesses looking to recruit new staff can have more faith in the legitimacy of resumes presented on LinkedIn accounts than traditional offline or private formats, according to a new study from Cornell University.
The survey of 119 college students found that the vast majority (92%) lied at least once when asked to create a resume. Not all were outright lies, some deception was in the form of leaving things out or tweaking dates.
However, it transpires that young people are less likely to lie about "major things", such as qualifications or job positions, in their online resumes. This makes sense as it's far easier to get caught out when your details are on a public forum.
College-age LinkedIn users were, however, found to be more likely to embellish or lie on their resumes in ways that were harder to verify, such as hobbies and interests.
"The Effect of LinkedIn on Deception in Resumes" by Jamie Guillory and Jeffrey T. Hancock has been published in the March 2012 issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...