News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals less deception in LinkedIn resumes
Businesses looking to recruit new staff can have more faith in the legitimacy of resumes presented on LinkedIn accounts than traditional offline or private formats, according to a new study from Cornell University.
The survey of 119 college students found that the vast majority (92%) lied at least once when asked to create a resume. Not all were outright lies, some deception was in the form of leaving things out or tweaking dates.
However, it transpires that young people are less likely to lie about "major things", such as qualifications or job positions, in their online resumes. This makes sense as it's far easier to get caught out when your details are on a public forum.
College-age LinkedIn users were, however, found to be more likely to embellish or lie on their resumes in ways that were harder to verify, such as hobbies and interests.
"The Effect of LinkedIn on Deception in Resumes" by Jamie Guillory and Jeffrey T. Hancock has been published in the March 2012 issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...