News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals less deception in LinkedIn resumes
Businesses looking to recruit new staff can have more faith in the legitimacy of resumes presented on LinkedIn accounts than traditional offline or private formats, according to a new study from Cornell University.
The survey of 119 college students found that the vast majority (92%) lied at least once when asked to create a resume. Not all were outright lies, some deception was in the form of leaving things out or tweaking dates.
However, it transpires that young people are less likely to lie about "major things", such as qualifications or job positions, in their online resumes. This makes sense as it's far easier to get caught out when your details are on a public forum.
College-age LinkedIn users were, however, found to be more likely to embellish or lie on their resumes in ways that were harder to verify, such as hobbies and interests.
"The Effect of LinkedIn on Deception in Resumes" by Jamie Guillory and Jeffrey T. Hancock has been published in the March 2012 issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...