News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: British consumers worried about online privacy
Attention brands: If you aren't protecting the privacy and personal data of your consumer base, they'll likely leave you for a brand who offers better protection. That, according to new report out from TRUSTe, polling Great Britain's consumer base. Researchers found most (90%) worry about their online security while 88% 'avoid companies' who they feel don't protect them.
The data shouldn't be startling. Concerns about online privacy go back to the beginning of the Internet. What is surprising is the number of businesses, online, who either don't have plans in place to protect consumer privacy or who don't tell their customers about the steps taken to protect them.
Some interesting findings from the TRUSTe report include:
• 90% of Great Britains' surveyed 'worry' about online privacy
• Those living in London or aged 25-34 or with children reportedly worry most
• 37% say they don't trust companies with their personal data
• 95% say businesses are accountable for protecting privacy
• 88% avoid businesses they don't feel protect their privacy
The UK survey was similar in finding to the US survey released earlier this year.
"The findings of our Great Britain study mirror TRUSTe's findings in a U.S. based study conducted earlier this year," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe. "Clearly, consumers around the world are overwhelmingly concerned about their privacy online. By strengthening TRUSTe's presence in the EU, we can better support our European clients and help them build the trust and confidence of their customers."
Similar results have been found in other studies, namely a study from Pew Internet & American Life Project. A majority of American's surveyed found nearly three-quarters were 'not okay' with their search engine queries being tracked while 65% said search engines tracking activity was 'very bad'.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...